Dec 2, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Scrappy NIT Preseason Tip-Off favorite Drexel gave Arizona a tight game in the Garden and topped Alabama in three overtimes, but they received some tough news on Monday night as junior guard Damion Lee is out for the season with a torn ACL, the school announced.
Lee went down during the Arizona game and a Monday MRI revealed the unfortunate news. The 6-foot-6 junior from Baltimore was averaging 13 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in his junior season, in which he played just five games, after averaging 17.1 and 5.1 last season.
This is a really unfortunate loss for Bruiser Flint and the Dragons and last year they lost senior guard Chris Fouch to a season-ending knee injury in December as well. Fouch was granted his sixth year of eligibility this season and the Dragons will have to trudge on without a potential all-conference player like Lee.
Drexel did come back to beat Alabama in three overtimes the following game without Lee, and although Bruiser Flint usually keeps a tight rotation, he has some depth this season and Major Canady, a 6-foot-4 guard, saw 19 minutes against Alabama.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)