Dec 2, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
Scrappy NIT Preseason Tip-Off favorite Drexel gave Arizona a tight game in the Garden and topped Alabama in three overtimes, but they received some tough news on Monday night as junior guard Damion Lee is out for the season with a torn ACL, the school announced.
Lee went down during the Arizona game and a Monday MRI revealed the unfortunate news. The 6-foot-6 junior from Baltimore was averaging 13 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in his junior season, in which he played just five games, after averaging 17.1 and 5.1 last season.
This is a really unfortunate loss for Bruiser Flint and the Dragons and last year they lost senior guard Chris Fouch to a season-ending knee injury in December as well. Fouch was granted his sixth year of eligibility this season and the Dragons will have to trudge on without a potential all-conference player like Lee.
Drexel did come back to beat Alabama in three overtimes the following game without Lee, and although Bruiser Flint usually keeps a tight rotation, he has some depth this season and Major Canady, a 6-foot-4 guard, saw 19 minutes against Alabama.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)