Dec 2, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Scrappy NIT Preseason Tip-Off favorite Drexel gave Arizona a tight game in the Garden and topped Alabama in three overtimes, but they received some tough news on Monday night as junior guard Damion Lee is out for the season with a torn ACL, the school announced.
Lee went down during the Arizona game and a Monday MRI revealed the unfortunate news. The 6-foot-6 junior from Baltimore was averaging 13 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in his junior season, in which he played just five games, after averaging 17.1 and 5.1 last season.
This is a really unfortunate loss for Bruiser Flint and the Dragons and last year they lost senior guard Chris Fouch to a season-ending knee injury in December as well. Fouch was granted his sixth year of eligibility this season and the Dragons will have to trudge on without a potential all-conference player like Lee.
Drexel did come back to beat Alabama in three overtimes the following game without Lee, and although Bruiser Flint usually keeps a tight rotation, he has some depth this season and Major Canady, a 6-foot-4 guard, saw 19 minutes against Alabama.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)