Dec 2, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 15 Florida at No. 13 UConn, 7:00 p.m. ET (ESPN)
The Gators picked up a nice win over Florida State over the weekend, the first big win they’ve had this season. But Florida is still not at full strength right now, with Kasey Hill dealing with an ankle injury, Eli Carter still coming back from his broken leg and Damontre Harris seemingly never returning from his suspension. This UConn games kicks off a three-week stretch where the Gators lock horns with three top 15 teams, including Kansas and Memphis.
UConn, on the other hand, is playing really well right now, with Shabazz Napier tossing his name into the National Player of the Year conversation as the Huskies sit at 7-0 with a win over Indiana in Madison Square Garden. This matchup is made all the more intriguing by the fact that UConn has a terrific back court while Florida’s front line should overpower the Huskies.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: Mercer at Oklahoma, 9:00 p.m. ET (ESPN)
Oklahoma has played well early on this season and looks like they could end up being the fifth-best team in the Big 12 this season, but Mercer is a good team. Led by Langston Hall, the Bears are actually the favorite to repeat as champs of the Atlantic Sun over Florida-Gulf Coast.
MID-MAJOR GAME OF THE DAY: Boston U. at Quinnipiac, 7:00 p.m.
The Terriers back court, led by Mo Watson and D.J. Irving, is quite talented, but Quinnipiac has a couple of talented pieces on their roster as well. Ike Azotam and Zaid Hearst make up one of the nation’s best mid-major 1-2 punches.
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) Cal better come ready to play against UC-Irvine tonight. Irvine already has a double-digit win at Washington on their resume and counts 7-foot-6 Mamadou N’Diaye on their roster.
2) No. 17 Iowa State puts their perfect record on the line at home against Auburn. The Cyclones better hope Auburn’s magic wore off on Jordan Hare Field on Saturday night.
3) West Virginia hosts Loyola (MD), who has one of the nation’s best scorers on their roster in Dylon Cormier.
4) Vanderbilt squares off against one of the more surprising teams in the country in Texas.
5) Georgia is currently sitting at 2-4 on the season. They host Chattanooga in a game that Mark Fox really, really needs to win.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)