Dec 3, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The Big Ten/ACC Challenge kicks off tonight. Since we know that you need help putting together your schedule, here’s a breakdown of which games you need to watch. You’re welcome.
All times EST:
Only miss these games to see the birth of your FIRST child:
1. Tue 9:15 p.m.: No. 22 Michigan at No. 10 Duke: Neither the Wolverines nor the Blue Devils have lived up to their preseason hype early on this season, which is part of the reason that this is now a top 25 matchup instead of a battle between top ten teams. The Wolverines are banged up, as Glenn Robinson III, Nik Stauskas and Mitch McGary have all dealt with injuries early on this season. The key to this matchup? McGary. Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood can’t guard him, but he can’t guard them. Who breaks first?
CBT Pick: Duke
2. Tue. 7:15 p.m.: Indiana at No. 4 Syracuse: Another rematch, this time from last year’s Sweet 16, when Tom Crean’s high-octane offense couldn’t figure out their way through the Syracuse zone. This year, Indiana’s built around their ability to defend, as they don’t have the perimeter shooting they did a season ago but they do have the length and athleticism to match the Orange. The Orange force a lot of turnovers, and the Hoosiers have had issues with turnovers this season. Yogi Ferrell vs. Tyler Ennis will be a lot of fun.
CBT Pick: Syracuse
3. Wed. 7:00 p.m.: No. 8 Wisconsin at Virginia: It won’t be high-scoring, but these are two very good, very well-coached teams that play similar styles. Virginia has a little more size and athleticism than the Badgers, but Wisconsin can spread the floor and shoot it better than the ‘Hoos. Sam Dekker vs. Joe Harris will be a lot of fun as well.
CBT Pick: Wisconsin
You can miss these for a hot date, but they have to be at least a nine and NOT already your significant other:
4. Tue. 9:15 p.m.: Notre Dame at No. 23 Iowa: I’d say this is the most interesting matchup of the event in that we’re still really trying to get a gauge for both teams. The Irish have a loaded back court but they already have a loss to Indiana State on their resume. The Hawkeyes, on the other hand, lost a nail-biter to Villanova in the Battle 4 Atlantis and are a dangerously deep and versatile team. Who wins out?
CBT Pick: Iowa
5. Wed. 9:00 p.m.: North Carolina at No. 1 Michigan State: Michigan State has lived up to the hype they had entering the season, as they’re undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the country. They look every bit a national title contender. North Carolina, on the other hand, has struggled with consistency and simply is not the same team without P.J. Hairston.
CBT Pick: Michigan State
6. Wed. 7:00 p.m.: Maryland at No. 5 Ohio State: The Buckeyes are overwhelming on the defensive end of the floor, and while I think Maryland is flying a bit under the radar right now, I’m not sure that the Terps are going to be able to handle that pressure without Seth Allen.
CBT Pick: Ohio State
You can play bridge with your Grandmother, just make sure you have the game on in the back ground:
7. Tue. 7:30 p.m.: Penn State at Pitt: Pitt is going to end up being a contender in the ACC this season. Mark my words. The Nittany Lions are a much-improved team this year, enough that they’ll be competitive in the Big Ten, but I can’t see them picking up this win in Pittsburgh.
CBT Pick: Pitt
8. Tue. 9:30 p.m.: Florida State at Minnesota: The Gophers had a rough trip to Maui while the Seminoles are coming off of impressive performances in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off and at Florida.
CBT Pick: Florida State
9. Wed. 9:00 p.m.: Boston College at Purdue: I can’t quite figure out either of these teams, but Olivier Hanlon against the Johnson brothers and Ryan Anderson vs. A.J. Hammons will be fun
CBT Pick: Boston College
You know what? Go ahead. Take a nap. Or play FIFA. Or do whatever. I won’t even be mad:
10. Tue. 7:15 p.m.: Illinois at Georgia Tech
CBT Pick: Illinois
11. Wed. 7:30 p.m.: Northwestern at NC State
CBT Pick: NC State
12. Wed. 9:30 p.m.: Miami at Nebraska
CBT Pick: Nebraska
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)