Dec 3, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
The Florida roster took another hit Tuesday afternoon, after it was announced that senior point guard Scottie Wilbekin will be out indefinitely with a high ankle sprain he suffered in Monday night’s heartbreaking road loss to UConn.
Wilbekin scored 15 points and grabbed three boards to go along with a pair of assists and turnovers, but late in the game he came down awkwardly on Ryan Boatright’s foot and did not return. It was his third game back from suspension, which kept him out of action for the team’s first five games.
Following Monday night’s loss, Billy Donovan told reporters that Rutgers transfer Eli Carter will reportedly redshirt this season, as the junior guard is recovering from a broken leg he suffered in February. Freshman point guard Kasey Hill has been sidelined nearly a month with an ankle injury of his own. With Carter also out for Monday’s game, Wilbekin was the only point guard on the roster, logging 35 minutes with most of his rest coming before and during official TV timeouts.
When Wilbekin went down it was up to forward Dorian Finney-Smith to man the ball-handling duties.
The injuries have piled up at the worst possible time for Florida. The Gators are in the middle of an insanely tough stretch, which started last night in Storrs. The shorthanded Gators have a week off before hosting Kansas, followed by a matchup with Memphis at Madison Square Garden, part of the Jimmy V Classic.
Despite the uncertainty of all three point guards, Florida received some potentially good news, as five-star freshman Chris Walker may make his collegiate debut against Memphis on Dec. 17.
The 6-foot-10 forward won’t help much in the point guard department, but at this point Donovan will take every healthy body he can.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)