Dec 3, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
The Florida roster took another hit Tuesday afternoon, after it was announced that senior point guard Scottie Wilbekin will be out indefinitely with a high ankle sprain he suffered in Monday night’s heartbreaking road loss to UConn.
Wilbekin scored 15 points and grabbed three boards to go along with a pair of assists and turnovers, but late in the game he came down awkwardly on Ryan Boatright’s foot and did not return. It was his third game back from suspension, which kept him out of action for the team’s first five games.
Following Monday night’s loss, Billy Donovan told reporters that Rutgers transfer Eli Carter will reportedly redshirt this season, as the junior guard is recovering from a broken leg he suffered in February. Freshman point guard Kasey Hill has been sidelined nearly a month with an ankle injury of his own. With Carter also out for Monday’s game, Wilbekin was the only point guard on the roster, logging 35 minutes with most of his rest coming before and during official TV timeouts.
When Wilbekin went down it was up to forward Dorian Finney-Smith to man the ball-handling duties.
The injuries have piled up at the worst possible time for Florida. The Gators are in the middle of an insanely tough stretch, which started last night in Storrs. The shorthanded Gators have a week off before hosting Kansas, followed by a matchup with Memphis at Madison Square Garden, part of the Jimmy V Classic.
Despite the uncertainty of all three point guards, Florida received some potentially good news, as five-star freshman Chris Walker may make his collegiate debut against Memphis on Dec. 17.
The 6-foot-10 forward won’t help much in the point guard department, but at this point Donovan will take every healthy body he can.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)