Dec 3, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
The Florida roster took another hit Tuesday afternoon, after it was announced that senior point guard Scottie Wilbekin will be out indefinitely with a high ankle sprain he suffered in Monday night’s heartbreaking road loss to UConn.
Wilbekin scored 15 points and grabbed three boards to go along with a pair of assists and turnovers, but late in the game he came down awkwardly on Ryan Boatright’s foot and did not return. It was his third game back from suspension, which kept him out of action for the team’s first five games.
Following Monday night’s loss, Billy Donovan told reporters that Rutgers transfer Eli Carter will reportedly redshirt this season, as the junior guard is recovering from a broken leg he suffered in February. Freshman point guard Kasey Hill has been sidelined nearly a month with an ankle injury of his own. With Carter also out for Monday’s game, Wilbekin was the only point guard on the roster, logging 35 minutes with most of his rest coming before and during official TV timeouts.
When Wilbekin went down it was up to forward Dorian Finney-Smith to man the ball-handling duties.
The injuries have piled up at the worst possible time for Florida. The Gators are in the middle of an insanely tough stretch, which started last night in Storrs. The shorthanded Gators have a week off before hosting Kansas, followed by a matchup with Memphis at Madison Square Garden, part of the Jimmy V Classic.
Despite the uncertainty of all three point guards, Florida received some potentially good news, as five-star freshman Chris Walker may make his collegiate debut against Memphis on Dec. 17.
The 6-foot-10 forward won’t help much in the point guard department, but at this point Donovan will take every healthy body he can.
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)