Dec 3, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Michigan State sophomore guard Gary Harris injured his ankle in late August, though, that force him to miss any regular season games. That was until Friday during the top-ranked Spartans’ 98-65 win over Mount St. Mary’s
Tom Izzo sidelined his reigning Big Ten freshmen of the year for the entire weekend, not just the 33-point win, in hopes the rest will have his shooting guard back for Wednesday night’s Big Ten/ACC Challenge matchup against North Carolina. According to MLive.com, Izzo said there is a 99 percent chance Harris will be ready to go against the Tar Heels. On Monday, Harris took it a step further, per Gillian Van Stratt.
“Oh, I’m playing,” Harris said on Monday after practice. “I’m definitely going to play against North Carolina.
“I’ve gotten a lot better over these days off. Coach has held me out and I’m just giving my ankle some time to rest, extra rehab. So I mean, it’s getting better each and every day.”
Despite seeing a noticeable dip in his 3-point shooting this season, Harris leads the Spartans in scoring at 17.7 points a game to go along with averages of 4.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 30-plus minutes a contest.
Izzo is going to want his 6-foot-4 scorer in the lineup Wednesday night in East Lansing. Izzo is looking to take down Roy Williams, who is undefeated against Michigan State since taking over at North Carolina. Williams holds a 6-0 edge, which includes the 2009 national championship win. Williams and his Tar Heels will look to make it 7-0, especially after sandwiching an impressive win over then-No. 3 Louisville with losses to Belmont (at home) and at UAB.
Michigan State and North Carolina tip at 9 p.m. Wednesday.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)