Dec 3, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Michigan State sophomore guard Gary Harris injured his ankle in late August, though, that force him to miss any regular season games. That was until Friday during the top-ranked Spartans’ 98-65 win over Mount St. Mary’s
Tom Izzo sidelined his reigning Big Ten freshmen of the year for the entire weekend, not just the 33-point win, in hopes the rest will have his shooting guard back for Wednesday night’s Big Ten/ACC Challenge matchup against North Carolina. According to MLive.com, Izzo said there is a 99 percent chance Harris will be ready to go against the Tar Heels. On Monday, Harris took it a step further, per Gillian Van Stratt.
“Oh, I’m playing,” Harris said on Monday after practice. “I’m definitely going to play against North Carolina.
“I’ve gotten a lot better over these days off. Coach has held me out and I’m just giving my ankle some time to rest, extra rehab. So I mean, it’s getting better each and every day.”
Despite seeing a noticeable dip in his 3-point shooting this season, Harris leads the Spartans in scoring at 17.7 points a game to go along with averages of 4.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 30-plus minutes a contest.
Izzo is going to want his 6-foot-4 scorer in the lineup Wednesday night in East Lansing. Izzo is looking to take down Roy Williams, who is undefeated against Michigan State since taking over at North Carolina. Williams holds a 6-0 edge, which includes the 2009 national championship win. Williams and his Tar Heels will look to make it 7-0, especially after sandwiching an impressive win over then-No. 3 Louisville with losses to Belmont (at home) and at UAB.
Michigan State and North Carolina tip at 9 p.m. Wednesday.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)