Dec 3, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Florida’s back court question marks have become a major, major problem.
Kasey Hill is out with an ankle injury. Eli Carter will reportedly be redshirting this season. Scottie Wilbekin missed the final five minutes of last night’s game after injuring his ankle. It’s unclear how long Hill and Wilbekin will be out of commission.
That leaves Billy Donovan without a ball-handler for the time-being, which wouldn’t be a problem if he didn’t have a loaded schedule over the course of the next two weeks. Florida plays Kansas next Tuesday. The Tuesday after than they get Memphis in the Jimmy V Classic. Those aren’t two teams that you want to play without a point guard available.
The good news, however, is that it looks like one of his missing big men could be back soon. Chris Walker is dealing with an eligibility issue, but on this morning’s 3-point shot, Andy Katz addressed his eligibility:
Walker apparently has one half-credit left to earn his degree and be eligible for the Gators. According to a source, he could potentially get that by December 10th. If he does, then there’s a chance that he could play in the Jimmy V Classic. … He’s be academically eligible, and the Gators would have to make sure over that weekend that he’s NCAA eligible. If it doesn’t happen that fast, he’d still be allowed to practice.
At full strength, Florida has a chance to be scary good. Imagine this lineup: Wilbekin, Hill, Casey Prather, Patric Young and Walker with Michael Frazier, Will Yeguete and Dorian Finney-Smith coming off the bench.
That group is a legitimate national title contender.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)