Dec 3, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
Florida’s back court question marks have become a major, major problem.
Kasey Hill is out with an ankle injury. Eli Carter will reportedly be redshirting this season. Scottie Wilbekin missed the final five minutes of last night’s game after injuring his ankle. It’s unclear how long Hill and Wilbekin will be out of commission.
That leaves Billy Donovan without a ball-handler for the time-being, which wouldn’t be a problem if he didn’t have a loaded schedule over the course of the next two weeks. Florida plays Kansas next Tuesday. The Tuesday after than they get Memphis in the Jimmy V Classic. Those aren’t two teams that you want to play without a point guard available.
The good news, however, is that it looks like one of his missing big men could be back soon. Chris Walker is dealing with an eligibility issue, but on this morning’s 3-point shot, Andy Katz addressed his eligibility:
Walker apparently has one half-credit left to earn his degree and be eligible for the Gators. According to a source, he could potentially get that by December 10th. If he does, then there’s a chance that he could play in the Jimmy V Classic. … He’s be academically eligible, and the Gators would have to make sure over that weekend that he’s NCAA eligible. If it doesn’t happen that fast, he’d still be allowed to practice.
At full strength, Florida has a chance to be scary good. Imagine this lineup: Wilbekin, Hill, Casey Prather, Patric Young and Walker with Michael Frazier, Will Yeguete and Dorian Finney-Smith coming off the bench.
That group is a legitimate national title contender.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)