Dec 3, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
Florida’s back court question marks have become a major, major problem.
Kasey Hill is out with an ankle injury. Eli Carter will reportedly be redshirting this season. Scottie Wilbekin missed the final five minutes of last night’s game after injuring his ankle. It’s unclear how long Hill and Wilbekin will be out of commission.
That leaves Billy Donovan without a ball-handler for the time-being, which wouldn’t be a problem if he didn’t have a loaded schedule over the course of the next two weeks. Florida plays Kansas next Tuesday. The Tuesday after than they get Memphis in the Jimmy V Classic. Those aren’t two teams that you want to play without a point guard available.
The good news, however, is that it looks like one of his missing big men could be back soon. Chris Walker is dealing with an eligibility issue, but on this morning’s 3-point shot, Andy Katz addressed his eligibility:
Walker apparently has one half-credit left to earn his degree and be eligible for the Gators. According to a source, he could potentially get that by December 10th. If he does, then there’s a chance that he could play in the Jimmy V Classic. … He’s be academically eligible, and the Gators would have to make sure over that weekend that he’s NCAA eligible. If it doesn’t happen that fast, he’d still be allowed to practice.
At full strength, Florida has a chance to be scary good. Imagine this lineup: Wilbekin, Hill, Casey Prather, Patric Young and Walker with Michael Frazier, Will Yeguete and Dorian Finney-Smith coming off the bench.
That group is a legitimate national title contender.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)