Dec 3, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Florida’s back court question marks have become a major, major problem.
Kasey Hill is out with an ankle injury. Eli Carter will reportedly be redshirting this season. Scottie Wilbekin missed the final five minutes of last night’s game after injuring his ankle. It’s unclear how long Hill and Wilbekin will be out of commission.
That leaves Billy Donovan without a ball-handler for the time-being, which wouldn’t be a problem if he didn’t have a loaded schedule over the course of the next two weeks. Florida plays Kansas next Tuesday. The Tuesday after than they get Memphis in the Jimmy V Classic. Those aren’t two teams that you want to play without a point guard available.
The good news, however, is that it looks like one of his missing big men could be back soon. Chris Walker is dealing with an eligibility issue, but on this morning’s 3-point shot, Andy Katz addressed his eligibility:
Walker apparently has one half-credit left to earn his degree and be eligible for the Gators. According to a source, he could potentially get that by December 10th. If he does, then there’s a chance that he could play in the Jimmy V Classic. … He’s be academically eligible, and the Gators would have to make sure over that weekend that he’s NCAA eligible. If it doesn’t happen that fast, he’d still be allowed to practice.
At full strength, Florida has a chance to be scary good. Imagine this lineup: Wilbekin, Hill, Casey Prather, Patric Young and Walker with Michael Frazier, Will Yeguete and Dorian Finney-Smith coming off the bench.
That group is a legitimate national title contender.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)