Dec 3, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
There isn’t a more frustrating time to travel than Thanksgiving weekend, and on Sunday afternoon, about 50 Delta customers learned that the hard way.
Florida was scheduled to fly from Gainesville to Connecticut for their Monday night game against the UConn Huskies on Sunday afternoon, but the plane they were supposed to take was grounded by mechanical issues. So in order to make sure that the team got to Storrs on time, Delta managed to find them a new aircraft, one that was supposed to carry a full load of people to Atlanta.
Delta cancelled flight 5059, according to the Gainesville Sun.
They told the people that bought tickets that there was a mechanical delay, and then decided to load up the Gator basketball team close enough to the gate that some of those stranded passengers were able to see them getting on the plane.
I would have been livid:
People were upset as they scrambled to rearrange their travel schedules and some had to be driven to airports in Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa to catch other flights, she said. A passenger who was moving from Salt Lake City to New Jersey was going to miss the moving truck, so he had to find someone else to meet the driver instead. A student’s father had to drive her to Atlanta so she wouldn’t miss an event she needed to make. Another passenger missed a funeral.
“It just felt like the wrong decision made by somebody who didn’t think it through,” she said.
Florida’s SID told the paper that the program had no idea that a flight was cancelled and that they have no control over which place they are placed on.
The Gators ended up losing on Monday night. They got Shabazz’d. If that’s not karmic vengeance at its finest, than I don’t know what is.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)