Dec 3, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT
Florida’s point guard situation can be summed up is slowly by surely turning into a major issue.
First, it was Scottie Wilbekin getting suspended. A game before Wilbekin was allowed to return, Kasey Hill suffered a high ankle sprain that could keep him out of the lineup for another couple of weeks. On Monday night against UConn, Wilbekin left and didn’t return after spraining his ankle.
Florida ended the game using Dorian Finney-Smith at the point guard spot. Finney-Smith is a 6-foot-7 combo-forward. Not exactly ideal.
The reason Finney-Smith was forced into handling the ball is that Florida’s third-string point guard, Rutgers transfer Eli Carter, is reportedly redshirting. Carter broke his leg last February in gruesome fashion. Billy Donovan had this to say to reporters after the game:
“That’s probably something that’s going to happen. But right now, I think he’s just trying to see – can he get better?
“But as I said before, we’re not going to waste a year just to have him be a guy that’s going to spot somebody to give him a breather. I think he’s done too much in his career. We owe it to him to get him fully healthy and healed and ready to play.”
Carter has averaged 7.6 minutes in seven games this season. He didn’t play against UConn. He can apply for a medical redshirt since he’s played in less than 10% of Florida’s games this year.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)