Dec 4, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
A J.J. Avila layup with a second remaining on Saturday gave Colorado State a dramatic 85-83 victory over New Mexico State, and it turns out that the result may have come at an even greater cost for the Aggies. Junior reserve forward Remi Barry went down in the first half with a left knee injury, and on Tuesday he underwent an arthroscopic procedure. And according to the report, there’s still no word as to how long the Paris, France native will be out of the lineup.
“He had an MRI Monday and we got the results Tuesday that he has to have surgery to repair the injured knee,” NMSU head coach Marvin Menzies told Jason Groves of the Las Cruces Sun-News late Tuesday night. “We have to wait a couple weeks before he can have surgery so the swelling can go down. It’s not clear how long he could be out.”
Barry’s played just over 12 minutes per game for the Aggies, posting averages of 6.1 points and 2.9 rebounds per contest. His absence cuts the New Mexico State interior rotation to three players for their game against in-state rival New Mexico on Wednesday, with 7-foot-5 sophomore center Sim Bhullar (10.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 3.5 bpg), 6-foot-10 junior center Tshilidzi Nephawe (9.3, 7.1) and 6-foot-10 senior forward Renaldo Dixon (5.8, 5.3) being the options.
Barry may not have seen as much playing time as the other three, but the depth hit could be an issue with New Mexico featuring the productive tandem of center Alex Kirk and forward Cameron Bairstow in its front court.
New Mexico State was the overwhelming pick to win the WAC in October, with preseason Player of the Year Daniel Mullings and reigning WAC tournament MVP Sim Bhullar in the middle. That won’t change if Barry’s unable to return at some point this season, but issues such as foul trouble or another injury become greater concerns as a result.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)