Dec 4, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
On Tuesday night, Duke knocked off Michigan at Cameron Indoor Stadium, which was big news for both the Blue Devils, who had been struggling defensively for much of the first month of the season, and the Wolverines, who have never looked this bad offensively in the John Beilein era.
It was bigger news for Coach K, however, as he officially tied Philadelphia University head coach Herb Magee at 964 career wins, the most all-time in NCAA men’s basketball history. Pat Summitt, the legendary coach of the Tennessee women’s team, has 1,098 career wins.
Here’s the interesting part: Magee is still coaching. His Rams are 4-3 this season, which is why it took Coach K this long to tie him this season. The Rams play four times before Duke’s next game on Dec. 16th, which Magee will have a chance to regain a bit of a lead on Krzyzewski.
But it probably won’t last long.
Duke usually plays more games than Philadelphia every season, once you factor in the ACC and NCAA tournaments. They also are, once again, really good, which means that 30 wins isn’t out of the question. As much as I love the idea that the NCAA’s all-time winningest men’s coach spent his career at Philadelphia University, I just don’t think it’s a record that will survive the season.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)