Dec 4, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
On Tuesday night, Duke knocked off Michigan at Cameron Indoor Stadium, which was big news for both the Blue Devils, who had been struggling defensively for much of the first month of the season, and the Wolverines, who have never looked this bad offensively in the John Beilein era.
It was bigger news for Coach K, however, as he officially tied Philadelphia University head coach Herb Magee at 964 career wins, the most all-time in NCAA men’s basketball history. Pat Summitt, the legendary coach of the Tennessee women’s team, has 1,098 career wins.
Here’s the interesting part: Magee is still coaching. His Rams are 4-3 this season, which is why it took Coach K this long to tie him this season. The Rams play four times before Duke’s next game on Dec. 16th, which Magee will have a chance to regain a bit of a lead on Krzyzewski.
But it probably won’t last long.
Duke usually plays more games than Philadelphia every season, once you factor in the ACC and NCAA tournaments. They also are, once again, really good, which means that 30 wins isn’t out of the question. As much as I love the idea that the NCAA’s all-time winningest men’s coach spent his career at Philadelphia University, I just don’t think it’s a record that will survive the season.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)