Dec 4, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
On Tuesday night, Duke knocked off Michigan at Cameron Indoor Stadium, which was big news for both the Blue Devils, who had been struggling defensively for much of the first month of the season, and the Wolverines, who have never looked this bad offensively in the John Beilein era.
It was bigger news for Coach K, however, as he officially tied Philadelphia University head coach Herb Magee at 964 career wins, the most all-time in NCAA men’s basketball history. Pat Summitt, the legendary coach of the Tennessee women’s team, has 1,098 career wins.
Here’s the interesting part: Magee is still coaching. His Rams are 4-3 this season, which is why it took Coach K this long to tie him this season. The Rams play four times before Duke’s next game on Dec. 16th, which Magee will have a chance to regain a bit of a lead on Krzyzewski.
But it probably won’t last long.
Duke usually plays more games than Philadelphia every season, once you factor in the ACC and NCAA tournaments. They also are, once again, really good, which means that 30 wins isn’t out of the question. As much as I love the idea that the NCAA’s all-time winningest men’s coach spent his career at Philadelphia University, I just don’t think it’s a record that will survive the season.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)