Dec 4, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
On Tuesday night, Duke knocked off Michigan at Cameron Indoor Stadium, which was big news for both the Blue Devils, who had been struggling defensively for much of the first month of the season, and the Wolverines, who have never looked this bad offensively in the John Beilein era.
It was bigger news for Coach K, however, as he officially tied Philadelphia University head coach Herb Magee at 964 career wins, the most all-time in NCAA men’s basketball history. Pat Summitt, the legendary coach of the Tennessee women’s team, has 1,098 career wins.
Here’s the interesting part: Magee is still coaching. His Rams are 4-3 this season, which is why it took Coach K this long to tie him this season. The Rams play four times before Duke’s next game on Dec. 16th, which Magee will have a chance to regain a bit of a lead on Krzyzewski.
But it probably won’t last long.
Duke usually plays more games than Philadelphia every season, once you factor in the ACC and NCAA tournaments. They also are, once again, really good, which means that 30 wins isn’t out of the question. As much as I love the idea that the NCAA’s all-time winningest men’s coach spent his career at Philadelphia University, I just don’t think it’s a record that will survive the season.
- Five-star wing Brandon Ingram elevates his play during July 0
- CBT Quotables Part 1: Jawun Evans, Diamond Stone, Skal Labissiere and more 1
- LeBron James Skills Academy Day 2 Recap: Huntington Prep tandem enjoys productive Thursday 0
- adidas Unrivaled Day 1: Brandon Ingram gets the best of Jaylen Brown, Ray Smith hurts his knee 0
- Reebok Breakout Classic Day 2 Recap: Derrick Jones puts on a show 1
- Five-star 2015 forward Henry Ellenson working to become a more versatile player 1
- Diamond Stone discusses his package deal, recent weight loss 2
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (16)
- Rashad McCants says there was never a relationship between him and Roy Williams (AUDIO) (9)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (5)
- Rick Brunson used Patrick Ewing’s name to deceive masseuse which led to his arrest (3)
- Report: Naadir Tharpe to turn pro (3)