Dec 4, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
On Tuesday night, Duke knocked off Michigan at Cameron Indoor Stadium, which was big news for both the Blue Devils, who had been struggling defensively for much of the first month of the season, and the Wolverines, who have never looked this bad offensively in the John Beilein era.
It was bigger news for Coach K, however, as he officially tied Philadelphia University head coach Herb Magee at 964 career wins, the most all-time in NCAA men’s basketball history. Pat Summitt, the legendary coach of the Tennessee women’s team, has 1,098 career wins.
Here’s the interesting part: Magee is still coaching. His Rams are 4-3 this season, which is why it took Coach K this long to tie him this season. The Rams play four times before Duke’s next game on Dec. 16th, which Magee will have a chance to regain a bit of a lead on Krzyzewski.
But it probably won’t last long.
Duke usually plays more games than Philadelphia every season, once you factor in the ACC and NCAA tournaments. They also are, once again, really good, which means that 30 wins isn’t out of the question. As much as I love the idea that the NCAA’s all-time winningest men’s coach spent his career at Philadelphia University, I just don’t think it’s a record that will survive the season.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 2
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)