Dec 5, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
With the graduation of key contributors Jonathan Lee and Joel Smith from last season’s CAA regular season champion squad, Northeastern junior guard Quincy Ford was expected to be a major contributor for the Huskies. But after playing in the team’s first two games of the season a back injury has sidelined Ford, and on Thursday he underwent season-ending surgery (lumbar microdisectomy) to address the pain he’s been dealing with.
“We want to support him and his health is of our utmost concern,” Northeastern head coach Bill Coen said after the team’s loss to Harvard on Wednesday. “We want to make sure he’s healthy first, and he gets the proper medical treatment. All our guys in the locker room are behind him, all our coaches are behind him. And Quincy is gonna dedicate himself to coming back better than ever.”
As a sophomore Ford posted averages of 12.2 points and 5.8 rebounds per game, earning third-team All-CAA honors. The Huskies are 2-6 on the season, with one of their two victories coming against Georgetown in the first round of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. Forward Scott Eatherton (16.4 ppg, 10.6 rpg) and guard David Walker (12.2, 3.9) are the Huskies’ top two scorers, and as a team they’re averaging 68.5 points per game.
The problems have been on the defensive end, with opponents scoring 71.1 points per game and shooting 45.7% from the field. Not having Ford has made things more difficult for Northeastern, but the hope for the Huskies is that by the time conference play begins they’ll be an improved group defensively.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)