Dec 5, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Today marks the 35th anniversary of Dick Vitale’s first broadcast as a color-commentator for ESPN, and in a video that the network released today, we get a chance to see Vitale’s first pregame intro.
A couple things stand out:
- In his first broadcast, Vitale still managed to drop some nicknames. “The Kiddie Corps, T’n’T, dy-no-mite!”
- Watch the face of his partner while Vitale is going on his 1:40 long rant. Hilarious. I’d love to know what he was thinking then. “No way this guy lasts a month” would be my guess.
- 35 years ago Dick Vitale still didn’t have a single strand of hair on the top of his head.
Vitale’s a polarizing announcer. There are those that love him and those that cannot stand him. Me? I think he’s like Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty. You’re never quite sure what he’s talking about, but it’s just not the same when he’s not around. His enthusiasm for college hoops in unbridled and unparalleled, and I’m including myself in there.
But the most important thing to remember with Vitale is that the man has raised millions upon millions upon millions for the Jimmy V Foundation’s fight against, as he says it, “CAAAN-suh”. So judge away at his broadcasting if you must, just realize that the man has a great and generous heart.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)