Dec 5, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Today marks the 35th anniversary of Dick Vitale’s first broadcast as a color-commentator for ESPN, and in a video that the network released today, we get a chance to see Vitale’s first pregame intro.
A couple things stand out:
– In his first broadcast, Vitale still managed to drop some nicknames. “The Kiddie Corps, T’n’T, dy-no-mite!”
– Watch the face of his partner while Vitale is going on his 1:40 long rant. Hilarious. I’d love to know what he was thinking then. “No way this guy lasts a month” would be my guess.
– 35 years ago Dick Vitale still didn’t have a single strand of hair on the top of his head.
Vitale’s a polarizing announcer. There are those that love him and those that cannot stand him. Me? I think he’s like Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty. You’re never quite sure what he’s talking about, but it’s just not the same when he’s not around. His enthusiasm for college hoops in unbridled and unparalleled, and I’m including myself in there.
But the most important thing to remember with Vitale is that the man has raised millions upon millions upon millions for the Jimmy V Foundation’s fight against, as he says it, “CAAAN-suh”. So judge away at his broadcasting if you must, just realize that the man has a great and generous heart.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)