Dec 5, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Today marks the 35th anniversary of Dick Vitale’s first broadcast as a color-commentator for ESPN, and in a video that the network released today, we get a chance to see Vitale’s first pregame intro.
A couple things stand out:
– In his first broadcast, Vitale still managed to drop some nicknames. “The Kiddie Corps, T’n’T, dy-no-mite!”
– Watch the face of his partner while Vitale is going on his 1:40 long rant. Hilarious. I’d love to know what he was thinking then. “No way this guy lasts a month” would be my guess.
– 35 years ago Dick Vitale still didn’t have a single strand of hair on the top of his head.
Vitale’s a polarizing announcer. There are those that love him and those that cannot stand him. Me? I think he’s like Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty. You’re never quite sure what he’s talking about, but it’s just not the same when he’s not around. His enthusiasm for college hoops in unbridled and unparalleled, and I’m including myself in there.
But the most important thing to remember with Vitale is that the man has raised millions upon millions upon millions for the Jimmy V Foundation’s fight against, as he says it, “CAAAN-suh”. So judge away at his broadcasting if you must, just realize that the man has a great and generous heart.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (24)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)