Dec 5, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
Frantz Massenat led the Dragons with 21 points, nine assists and six rebounds, and as a team Drexel converted 14 offensive rebounds into 23 second-chance points. Cleveland State’s Jon Harris scored 27 points to lead the way for the Vikings, with 24 of those points being scored after halftime. Bruiser Flint’s team is now 2-0 since they lost Damion Lee for the season with a torn ACL, and both victories have come in triple overtime. According to ESPN Stats Info, Drexel is the first team since Ball State in 2000 to play consecutive triple overtime contests.
1) North Carolina 79, No. 1 Michigan State 65
Outside of the players in the North Carolina locker room you’d be hard-pressed to find more than a handful of people who believed that the Tar Heels could not only win in East Lansing but do so by a comfortable margin. But that’s exactly what they did, with five players scoring in double figures and the team putting forth a much better effort on the boards. As for the Spartans, there are some questions that need answering in the aftermath of this defeat.
2) No. 8 Wisconsin 48, Virginia 38
This contest was offensively challenged to say the least, with both teams failing to shoot at least 30% from the field. But in the end the Badgers made the plays they needed to make, with guard Josh Gasser figuring prominently in the proceedings. Now 9-0, the Badgers already have wins over Florida (home), Saint Louis (neutral) and Virginia (road).
3) No. 5 Ohio State 76, Maryland 60
Ohio State took care of business as many expected, with Maryland’s turnover issues becoming a factor thanks to the Buckeyes’ perimeter defenders. But of more importance for Ohio State going forward was the performance of LaQuinton Ross, who scored 17 first-half points. They’ll be more balanced than a season ago, but for the Buckeyes to make a run at a national title Ross has to be a consistent scorer.
1) G Rian Pearson (Toledo): In the Rockets’ 91-75 win over Detroit Pearson finished with 30 points and eight rebounds.
2) G Tilman Dunbar (Navy): 28 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in the Midshipmen’s 79-74 win over The Citadel.
3) Iona three-point shooters: The Gaels set a Hynes Center record with 17 made three-pointers (30 attempts) in their 83-74 win over Marist.
1) G Joe Harris (Virginia): Harris scored just two points in the Cavaliers’ 48-38 loss to No. 8 Wisconsin, shooting 1-for-10 from the field.
2) G Ollie Jackson (St. Francis-PA): Jackson shot 1-for-12, scoring four points in the Red Flash’s 57-50 loss to Lehigh.
3) G Dave Sobolewski and JerShon Cobb (Northwestern): Combined to shoot 1-for-14, finishing with nine points, six rebounds and seven turnovers in the Wildcats’ 69-48 loss at N.C. State.
TOP 25 SCORES
- North Carolina 79, No. 1 Michigan State 65
- No. 5 Ohio State 76, Maryland 60
- No. 7 Louisville 90, Kansas City 62
- No. 8 Wisconsin 48, Virginia 38
- No. 14 Villanova 77, Penn 54
- No. 25 Dayton 56, Delaware State 46
- Louisville guard Russ Smith asked to come off the bench tonight, citing his poor performance in practice. Smith finished with ten points and 11 assists in the Cardinals’ 90-62 win over Kansas City.
- George Washington, which finished third in the Wooden Legacy this past weekend, moved to 7-1 with a 93-87 win over Rutgers. Isaiah Armwood led five Colonials in double figures with 20 points and nine rebounds.
- Tom Droney scored 21 points to help lead a depleted Davidson squad to an 87-78 overtime victory at Charlotte, which won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last month.
- Forwards Kyle Casey and Wesley Saunders scored 17 points apiece to lead Harvard to a 72-64 win at Northeastern.
- Kasey Sheppard scored 22 points off the bench to lead Louisiana to an 89-80 win at Louisiana Tech. Elfrid Payton and Shawn Long added 17 apiece for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
- T.J. Warren scored 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead N.C. State past Northwestern, 69-48. The Wildcats shot 25% from the field.
- Jamal Jones led four Aggies in double figures with 21 points to go along with seven rebounds in Texas A&M’s 74-57 win over Houston.
- Terone Johnson scored 18 points and Ronnie Johnson added 15 in Purdue’s 88-67 win over Boston College.
- Miami guard Rion Brown scored 25 points but no other Hurricane managed to score more than five in their 60-49 loss at Nebraska.
- Will Cummings and Dalton Pepper scored 16 points apiece and Anthony Lee added a double-double (15 points, 11 rebounds) in Temple’s 77-69 win over Saint Joseph’s.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
A quick explanation of why John Calipari can be a great coach without being a great x’s-and-o’s coach.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Do you agree with that ranking?
Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
But would hiring Cremins be a way to get Anthony Johnson the job?
Aug 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
It is absolutely hilarious.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Five points down, 2.8 seconds left, and victorious?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
Rozier will be the most important player for Louisville this season.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Redshirting helped Eli Carter as he looks to recover from a broken leg suffered in 2013, but he still isn’t at the level he was prior to the injury.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
According to reports Dominic Woodson will be enrolling at Tennessee in time for the start of classes Thursday.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Four-star shooting guard Terance Mann picked Florida State over Arizona State, Boston College, Indiana, Marquette and Rhode Island.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Curtis Malone is serving a 100-month sentence after pleading guilty to being a part of a drug ring that brought in $80,000 in profits per month.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
A report stated that a blood clot in Chai Baker’s leg may have resulted in his collapsing during a workout on Tuesday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deville Smith averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 32 games last season, making 18 starts.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Kennard is the No. 19 recruit in the Rivals top 150.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes averaged 15.6 points per game last season, shooting 43.4% from the field and 42.4% from three-point range.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
How can Nebraska build on their surprising, successful 2013-2014 season?
Aug 20, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Kentucky made the decision not to allow one of their stars to head to Spain for two weeks while they’re supposed to be in class.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Think Jayhawk fans remember the name Ali Farokhmanesh?
Aug 20, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
This took a while to plan.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (6)
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)