Dec 5, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
Frantz Massenat led the Dragons with 21 points, nine assists and six rebounds, and as a team Drexel converted 14 offensive rebounds into 23 second-chance points. Cleveland State’s Jon Harris scored 27 points to lead the way for the Vikings, with 24 of those points being scored after halftime. Bruiser Flint’s team is now 2-0 since they lost Damion Lee for the season with a torn ACL, and both victories have come in triple overtime. According to ESPN Stats Info, Drexel is the first team since Ball State in 2000 to play consecutive triple overtime contests.
1) North Carolina 79, No. 1 Michigan State 65
Outside of the players in the North Carolina locker room you’d be hard-pressed to find more than a handful of people who believed that the Tar Heels could not only win in East Lansing but do so by a comfortable margin. But that’s exactly what they did, with five players scoring in double figures and the team putting forth a much better effort on the boards. As for the Spartans, there are some questions that need answering in the aftermath of this defeat.
2) No. 8 Wisconsin 48, Virginia 38
This contest was offensively challenged to say the least, with both teams failing to shoot at least 30% from the field. But in the end the Badgers made the plays they needed to make, with guard Josh Gasser figuring prominently in the proceedings. Now 9-0, the Badgers already have wins over Florida (home), Saint Louis (neutral) and Virginia (road).
3) No. 5 Ohio State 76, Maryland 60
Ohio State took care of business as many expected, with Maryland’s turnover issues becoming a factor thanks to the Buckeyes’ perimeter defenders. But of more importance for Ohio State going forward was the performance of LaQuinton Ross, who scored 17 first-half points. They’ll be more balanced than a season ago, but for the Buckeyes to make a run at a national title Ross has to be a consistent scorer.
1) G Rian Pearson (Toledo): In the Rockets’ 91-75 win over Detroit Pearson finished with 30 points and eight rebounds.
2) G Tilman Dunbar (Navy): 28 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in the Midshipmen’s 79-74 win over The Citadel.
3) Iona three-point shooters: The Gaels set a Hynes Center record with 17 made three-pointers (30 attempts) in their 83-74 win over Marist.
1) G Joe Harris (Virginia): Harris scored just two points in the Cavaliers’ 48-38 loss to No. 8 Wisconsin, shooting 1-for-10 from the field.
2) G Ollie Jackson (St. Francis-PA): Jackson shot 1-for-12, scoring four points in the Red Flash’s 57-50 loss to Lehigh.
3) G Dave Sobolewski and JerShon Cobb (Northwestern): Combined to shoot 1-for-14, finishing with nine points, six rebounds and seven turnovers in the Wildcats’ 69-48 loss at N.C. State.
TOP 25 SCORES
- North Carolina 79, No. 1 Michigan State 65
- No. 5 Ohio State 76, Maryland 60
- No. 7 Louisville 90, Kansas City 62
- No. 8 Wisconsin 48, Virginia 38
- No. 14 Villanova 77, Penn 54
- No. 25 Dayton 56, Delaware State 46
- Louisville guard Russ Smith asked to come off the bench tonight, citing his poor performance in practice. Smith finished with ten points and 11 assists in the Cardinals’ 90-62 win over Kansas City.
- George Washington, which finished third in the Wooden Legacy this past weekend, moved to 7-1 with a 93-87 win over Rutgers. Isaiah Armwood led five Colonials in double figures with 20 points and nine rebounds.
- Tom Droney scored 21 points to help lead a depleted Davidson squad to an 87-78 overtime victory at Charlotte, which won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last month.
- Forwards Kyle Casey and Wesley Saunders scored 17 points apiece to lead Harvard to a 72-64 win at Northeastern.
- Kasey Sheppard scored 22 points off the bench to lead Louisiana to an 89-80 win at Louisiana Tech. Elfrid Payton and Shawn Long added 17 apiece for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
- T.J. Warren scored 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead N.C. State past Northwestern, 69-48. The Wildcats shot 25% from the field.
- Jamal Jones led four Aggies in double figures with 21 points to go along with seven rebounds in Texas A&M’s 74-57 win over Houston.
- Terone Johnson scored 18 points and Ronnie Johnson added 15 in Purdue’s 88-67 win over Boston College.
- Miami guard Rion Brown scored 25 points but no other Hurricane managed to score more than five in their 60-49 loss at Nebraska.
- Will Cummings and Dalton Pepper scored 16 points apiece and Anthony Lee added a double-double (15 points, 11 rebounds) in Temple’s 77-69 win over Saint Joseph’s.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The electrifying point guard has put his name into the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)