Dec 5, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
Frantz Massenat led the Dragons with 21 points, nine assists and six rebounds, and as a team Drexel converted 14 offensive rebounds into 23 second-chance points. Cleveland State’s Jon Harris scored 27 points to lead the way for the Vikings, with 24 of those points being scored after halftime. Bruiser Flint’s team is now 2-0 since they lost Damion Lee for the season with a torn ACL, and both victories have come in triple overtime. According to ESPN Stats Info, Drexel is the first team since Ball State in 2000 to play consecutive triple overtime contests.
1) North Carolina 79, No. 1 Michigan State 65
Outside of the players in the North Carolina locker room you’d be hard-pressed to find more than a handful of people who believed that the Tar Heels could not only win in East Lansing but do so by a comfortable margin. But that’s exactly what they did, with five players scoring in double figures and the team putting forth a much better effort on the boards. As for the Spartans, there are some questions that need answering in the aftermath of this defeat.
2) No. 8 Wisconsin 48, Virginia 38
This contest was offensively challenged to say the least, with both teams failing to shoot at least 30% from the field. But in the end the Badgers made the plays they needed to make, with guard Josh Gasser figuring prominently in the proceedings. Now 9-0, the Badgers already have wins over Florida (home), Saint Louis (neutral) and Virginia (road).
3) No. 5 Ohio State 76, Maryland 60
Ohio State took care of business as many expected, with Maryland’s turnover issues becoming a factor thanks to the Buckeyes’ perimeter defenders. But of more importance for Ohio State going forward was the performance of LaQuinton Ross, who scored 17 first-half points. They’ll be more balanced than a season ago, but for the Buckeyes to make a run at a national title Ross has to be a consistent scorer.
1) G Rian Pearson (Toledo): In the Rockets’ 91-75 win over Detroit Pearson finished with 30 points and eight rebounds.
2) G Tilman Dunbar (Navy): 28 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in the Midshipmen’s 79-74 win over The Citadel.
3) Iona three-point shooters: The Gaels set a Hynes Center record with 17 made three-pointers (30 attempts) in their 83-74 win over Marist.
1) G Joe Harris (Virginia): Harris scored just two points in the Cavaliers’ 48-38 loss to No. 8 Wisconsin, shooting 1-for-10 from the field.
2) G Ollie Jackson (St. Francis-PA): Jackson shot 1-for-12, scoring four points in the Red Flash’s 57-50 loss to Lehigh.
3) G Dave Sobolewski and JerShon Cobb (Northwestern): Combined to shoot 1-for-14, finishing with nine points, six rebounds and seven turnovers in the Wildcats’ 69-48 loss at N.C. State.
TOP 25 SCORES
- North Carolina 79, No. 1 Michigan State 65
- No. 5 Ohio State 76, Maryland 60
- No. 7 Louisville 90, Kansas City 62
- No. 8 Wisconsin 48, Virginia 38
- No. 14 Villanova 77, Penn 54
- No. 25 Dayton 56, Delaware State 46
- Louisville guard Russ Smith asked to come off the bench tonight, citing his poor performance in practice. Smith finished with ten points and 11 assists in the Cardinals’ 90-62 win over Kansas City.
- George Washington, which finished third in the Wooden Legacy this past weekend, moved to 7-1 with a 93-87 win over Rutgers. Isaiah Armwood led five Colonials in double figures with 20 points and nine rebounds.
- Tom Droney scored 21 points to help lead a depleted Davidson squad to an 87-78 overtime victory at Charlotte, which won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last month.
- Forwards Kyle Casey and Wesley Saunders scored 17 points apiece to lead Harvard to a 72-64 win at Northeastern.
- Kasey Sheppard scored 22 points off the bench to lead Louisiana to an 89-80 win at Louisiana Tech. Elfrid Payton and Shawn Long added 17 apiece for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
- T.J. Warren scored 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead N.C. State past Northwestern, 69-48. The Wildcats shot 25% from the field.
- Jamal Jones led four Aggies in double figures with 21 points to go along with seven rebounds in Texas A&M’s 74-57 win over Houston.
- Terone Johnson scored 18 points and Ronnie Johnson added 15 in Purdue’s 88-67 win over Boston College.
- Miami guard Rion Brown scored 25 points but no other Hurricane managed to score more than five in their 60-49 loss at Nebraska.
- Will Cummings and Dalton Pepper scored 16 points apiece and Anthony Lee added a double-double (15 points, 11 rebounds) in Temple’s 77-69 win over Saint Joseph’s.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:13 PM EDT
Boise State announced Wednesday that two players were leaving the program. Thursday, one of those players stated that he was forced out.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
Maryland’s Dez Wells and Xavier settled a lawsuit filed by Wells with regards to his expulsion from the school in 2012.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
After spending two seasons at Maryland, big man Shaquille Cleare has decided to transfer to Texas.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
UNLV junior forward Khem Birch has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 24, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
After averaging 12.5 points per game as a sophomore, San Francisco guard Avry Holmes has decided to transfer.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
Arizona State lands its seventh newcomer for the 2014-15 season as forward Willie Atwood picked the Sun Devils over Florida State and Iowa.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
The NCAA’s Board of Directors released some key decisions on Thursday.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Colorado junior guard Spencer Dinwiddie has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Dan D’Antoni spent 30 years as a high school coach in South Carolina.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Parker is not a fan of forcing players to stay in school for two years.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There are reports he’s already signed with an agent.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
The seven-footer will miss some time getting a torn labrum repaired.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Roy Williams is not the world’s greatest dancer.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Kentucky, Kansas and just about every elite program in the country is on the trail of the Haitian.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s pretty funnyl
Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports, former Georgetown big Moses Ayegba has decided to transfer to Nebraska.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)