Dec 5, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
After playing just over six minutes per game as a redshirt freshman, Duke forward Alex Murphy saw the task of earning more minutes become even tougher in 2013-14. With Rodney Hood eligible after having to sit out a season per NCAA transfer rules and freshman Jabari Parker arriving on campus, there weren’t going to be too many opportunities to earn extended minutes.
With his playing time remaining the same (6.6 mpg) and having not played in four of Duke’s last five games, Murphy has reportedly decided to transfer at the end of the fall semester. Murphy’s played a total of 33 minutes this season, averaging one point one rebound per game.
Murphy’s most productive outing as a Blue Devil came in Duke’s 90-63 loss at Miami last January, as he scored 11 points (5-for-8 FG) and grabbed five rebounds. With Murphy out of the equation Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski will have one less player to call on at the wing position, but given Murphy’s spot in the rotation prior to the decision there shouldn’t be much of a change for the Blue Devils moving forward.
Murphy was a highly-regarded prospect out of high school, and older brother Erik attended Florida for four seasons before being selected in the second round of this past summer’s NBA Draft. According to both 247Sports (Blue Devil Lair) and Scout.com, Florida is a possible destination for Alex.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)