Dec 5, 2013, 4:55 PM EST
After playing just over six minutes per game as a redshirt freshman, Duke forward Alex Murphy saw the task of earning more minutes become even tougher in 2013-14. With Rodney Hood eligible after having to sit out a season per NCAA transfer rules and freshman Jabari Parker arriving on campus, there weren’t going to be too many opportunities to earn extended minutes.
With his playing time remaining the same (6.6 mpg) and having not played in four of Duke’s last five games, Murphy has reportedly decided to transfer at the end of the fall semester. Murphy’s played a total of 33 minutes this season, averaging one point one rebound per game.
Murphy’s most productive outing as a Blue Devil came in Duke’s 90-63 loss at Miami last January, as he scored 11 points (5-for-8 FG) and grabbed five rebounds. With Murphy out of the equation Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski will have one less player to call on at the wing position, but given Murphy’s spot in the rotation prior to the decision there shouldn’t be much of a change for the Blue Devils moving forward.
Murphy was a highly-regarded prospect out of high school, and older brother Erik attended Florida for four seasons before being selected in the second round of this past summer’s NBA Draft. According to both 247Sports (Blue Devil Lair) and Scout.com, Florida is a possible destination for Alex.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)