Dec 5, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: West Virginia at Missouri, 7:00 p.m. ET
The Big 12/SEC Challenge kicks off tonight, headlined by the Mountaineers treking down to Columbia to take on former Big 12 member Missouri. While there isn’t exactly a Final Four contender taking the court, this will be an intriguing game to watch simply because it will give us a glimpse at two teams that have played well early on this season. West Virginia has had a couple of tough losses, to Wisconsin and Virginia Tech but their back court of Eron Harris, and Juwan Staten has been dynamic. For the Tigers, Jordan Clarkson looks like he could end up being the best scoring guard in the SEC this season, but Missouri has played a schedule that’s about equivalent to that of my men’s league team. Just how good are the Tigers?
MID-MAJOR GAME OF THE DAY: Eastern Kentucky at VCU, 7:00 p.m. ET
I know, I know, I know. VCU isn’t a “mid-major” program anymore, but they are still VCU, and they’ll always be a mid-major in my heart. Eastern Kentucky is one of the favorites to win the OVC this season, which means that they should be able to give the Rams a fight in Richmond.
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) Marshall Henderson will be making another appearance on national television tonight as his Rebels, fresh off of a win in the Barclays Center Classic, will be heading down to Manhattan, KS, to take on Kansas State.
2) No. 24 San Diego State takes on crosstown-rival San Diego in their first test as a top 25 team this season. The Toreros have a talented back court of Johnny Dee and Chris Anderson.
3) The Battle of the Ocean State takes place tonight between Providence and Rhode Island.
4) Georgetown hosts High Point tonight. They’ll be without Allan Chaney, but John Brown is a talent worth watching.
5) Texas A&M-CC will be taking on Oklahoma at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon as they try to get their game in before the storm hits.
- LIU-Brooklyn at Seton Hall, 7:00 p.m.
- Marshall at Vanderbilt, 8:00 p.m.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)