Dec 5, 2013, 2:53 PM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: West Virginia at Missouri, 7:00 p.m. ET
The Big 12/SEC Challenge kicks off tonight, headlined by the Mountaineers treking down to Columbia to take on former Big 12 member Missouri. While there isn’t exactly a Final Four contender taking the court, this will be an intriguing game to watch simply because it will give us a glimpse at two teams that have played well early on this season. West Virginia has had a couple of tough losses, to Wisconsin and Virginia Tech but their back court of Eron Harris, and Juwan Staten has been dynamic. For the Tigers, Jordan Clarkson looks like he could end up being the best scoring guard in the SEC this season, but Missouri has played a schedule that’s about equivalent to that of my men’s league team. Just how good are the Tigers?
MID-MAJOR GAME OF THE DAY: Eastern Kentucky at VCU, 7:00 p.m. ET
I know, I know, I know. VCU isn’t a “mid-major” program anymore, but they are still VCU, and they’ll always be a mid-major in my heart. Eastern Kentucky is one of the favorites to win the OVC this season, which means that they should be able to give the Rams a fight in Richmond.
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) Marshall Henderson will be making another appearance on national television tonight as his Rebels, fresh off of a win in the Barclays Center Classic, will be heading down to Manhattan, KS, to take on Kansas State.
2) No. 24 San Diego State takes on crosstown-rival San Diego in their first test as a top 25 team this season. The Toreros have a talented back court of Johnny Dee and Chris Anderson.
3) The Battle of the Ocean State takes place tonight between Providence and Rhode Island.
4) Georgetown hosts High Point tonight. They’ll be without Allan Chaney, but John Brown is a talent worth watching.
5) Texas A&M-CC will be taking on Oklahoma at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon as they try to get their game in before the storm hits.
- LIU-Brooklyn at Seton Hall, 7:00 p.m.
- Marshall at Vanderbilt, 8:00 p.m.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent (3)