Dec 5, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
In a thrilling game down in Richmond, Shaka Smart’s VCU Rams outlasted a tough Eastern Kentucky team in overtime, beating the Colonels 71-68.
Treveon Graham led four players in double-figures with 15 points and Rob Brandenburg knocked down four threes, including a huge three to kick off the overtime period. That would be the only points scored in the extra frame until the final minutes, as both teams traded stifling defensive possessions and forced charges.
EKU is a good team. They’ll battle it out with Belmont — another team that gave VCU fits — for the Ohio Valley Conference title. But if VCU is really going to be a top 25 team, if they really are the favorite to win what’s shaping up to be a strong Atlantic 10, they shouldn’t be getting pushed to overtime at home by Eastern Kentucky. By anyone, really.
All things considered, the Rams haven’t been all that impressive early on this season. They got blown out by Florida State. They were beaten by Georgetown. They struggled against Long Beach State and they were down 12 in the second half against Belmont.
So what’s up with VCU?
Well, they still aren’t great defensively in the half court, but that kind of comes with the territory when you press as much as VCU does. They gamble that they’ll be able to get more steals than you’ll get layups, and that in the process they’ll wear you down. In fact, they’ve gotten better on that end of the floor now that they are a better defensive rebounding team.
Where VCU is hurting a bit this season is offensively. They’re turning the ball over more this year. They aren’t getting to the offensive glass as often. Without Troy Daniels on the floor, they don’t have a knock-down three-point shooter on the roster. They’re more reliant on their defense forcing turnovers, allowing them to score in transition. Last year, 18.2% of VCU’s offensive possessions came in transition. This season it’s 23.2%. Last year, they scored 0.900 PPP in the half court, in the 85th percentile nationally. This year, they’re scoring 0.848 PPP, a pretty significant drop off.*
The thinking in the preseason was that VCU may struggle with the new foul calls affecting their defense, but in reality it hasn’t.
Excuse the coach-speak, but who on this VCU team is a ‘bucket-getter’?
*(Stats via Synergy)
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)