Dec 5, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Seton Hall established a season high for points in a game on Thursday night in their 92-81 win over LIU Brooklyn, with Brian Oliver knocking down eight three-pointers and scoring a game-high 26 points to lead the way offensively. In total four Pirates scored in double figures, but the win may have come at a cost as leading scorer Fuquan Edwin went down in the first half with a sprained right ankle.
Edwin will undergo an X-ray on Friday, and the results will determine just how long the senior from Paterson, N.J. will be out of the lineup. According to head coach Kevin Willard, Edwin could be out a couple weeks as a result of the injury.
“Your best player is hurt, it’s gut-check time,” Oliver said. “Our team responded well.”
Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard said Edwin “is going to be out at least a week or two” pending X-ray results Friday. The versatile wing, who averages 15.3 points per game, sprained the same ankle last winter but managed to mostly play through it.
Losing your best player is a tough blow at any point in the season, and Seton Hall will need to make some adjustments in advance of their game against in-state rival Rutgers on Sunday night. A positive to take out of their win over LIU was the production Seton Hall received from Oliver and forward Brandon Mobley, who scored 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 33 minutes of action.
Regardless of what happens with Edwin, the Pirates need options other than he, point guard Sterling Gibbs and center Eugene Teague (17 points and 16 rebounds vs. LIU) to emerge if they’re to exceed the preseason expectations as they were picked to finish eighth in the Big East. Mobley and Oliver will need to produce consistently, and freshman guard Jaren Sina will need to do so as well.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)