Dec 5, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Seton Hall established a season high for points in a game on Thursday night in their 92-81 win over LIU Brooklyn, with Brian Oliver knocking down eight three-pointers and scoring a game-high 26 points to lead the way offensively. In total four Pirates scored in double figures, but the win may have come at a cost as leading scorer Fuquan Edwin went down in the first half with a sprained right ankle.
Edwin will undergo an X-ray on Friday, and the results will determine just how long the senior from Paterson, N.J. will be out of the lineup. According to head coach Kevin Willard, Edwin could be out a couple weeks as a result of the injury.
“Your best player is hurt, it’s gut-check time,” Oliver said. “Our team responded well.”
Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard said Edwin “is going to be out at least a week or two” pending X-ray results Friday. The versatile wing, who averages 15.3 points per game, sprained the same ankle last winter but managed to mostly play through it.
Losing your best player is a tough blow at any point in the season, and Seton Hall will need to make some adjustments in advance of their game against in-state rival Rutgers on Sunday night. A positive to take out of their win over LIU was the production Seton Hall received from Oliver and forward Brandon Mobley, who scored 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 33 minutes of action.
Regardless of what happens with Edwin, the Pirates need options other than he, point guard Sterling Gibbs and center Eugene Teague (17 points and 16 rebounds vs. LIU) to emerge if they’re to exceed the preseason expectations as they were picked to finish eighth in the Big East. Mobley and Oliver will need to produce consistently, and freshman guard Jaren Sina will need to do so as well.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)