Dec 6, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 3 Kentucky vs. No. 20 Baylor, 10:00 p.m. (ESPN)
This isn’t a difficult choice, as the meeting between the Wildcats and Bears at the site of this season’s Final Four is the only contest matching ranked teams. And it’s a chance to make a statement nationally for Baylor, with sophomore Isaiah Austin stating before the game that “Kentucky is not better than us in any way, shape or form.” He’s certainly entitled to that line of thinking, and Austin will be one of the key figures in this contest. Kentucky’s front court features Julius Randle and Willie Cauley-Stein, with the Bears countering with a deep group led by Austin and senior Cory Jefferson. The team that wins the rebounding battle will more than likely emerge victorious, with both teams rebounding at least 43% of their missed shots (UK: 48%, Baylor: 43.6%).
You can read more about this matchup and the other marquee games this weekend here.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET? California (at UCSB, 10:00 p.m.)
First off, kudos to the Golden Bears for being willing to visit the “Thunderdome,” as few high-major programs would take on such a challenge. And it’s definitely a challenge, as the Gauchos hung with UCLA for much of the night on Tuesday before running out of steam late. Alan Williams is a very good interior player, and UCSB has multiple players capable of knocking down perimeter shots. Cal’s veterans, led by seniors Justin Cobbs and Richard Solomon, will need to keep the group (they have five freshmen) composed in front of what should be a frenzied atmosphere.
MID-MAJOR GAME OF THE NIGHT: Towson at Stephen F. Austin, 9:00 p.m. (ESPN3)
Both the Tigers and Limberjacks have the pieces needed to make a run at an NCAA tournament berth this season, as both are considered to be serious contenders in their respective leagues. Towson’s Jerrelle Benimon (17.0 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 4.0 apg) should be well-known amongst college basketball diehards by now, but how about SFA’s Jacob Parker? Parker’s (17.1, 7.9) more than doubled his scoring average from a season ago, with his best performance of the season being a 31-point, 11-rebound night in a win over Marshall last month.
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) After suffering a sprained ankle in a loss to Miami on Sunday, Arizona State point guard Jahii Carson is expected to play tonight at DePaul (7:00 p.m., FS1). With Carson not at 100% the Sun Devils will need someone to step up offensively as the look to win at DePaul, with Cleveland Melvin leading the way for the Blue Demons (Brandon Young’s out with an ankle injury).
2) No. 9 Oklahoma State is back in action, as they host South Carolina in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge. Frank Martin’s Gamecocks are young but they compete, and they took Baylor down to the wire back in November. Marcus Smart will look to rebound from a subpar performance in the Cowboys’ Old Spice Classic final loss to Memphis.
3) Of the four ranked teams in action No. 12 UConn has the “easiest” matchup as they host Maine (7:00 p.m., ESPN3). One thing to keep an eye on in this one: how the big men rebound. This should be a game in which the Huskies, who have struggled on the glass, control that aspect of the game.
4) Four MAAC games on the slate, including newcomers Quinnipiac hosting Fairfield (8:30 p.m., ESPN3). The Stags have just one player averaging double figures (Marcus Gilbert- 13.0 ppg, 4.6 rpg) while QU has five, led by versatile guard Zaid Hurst (15.0, 10.7).
5) Not sure that Loyola Marymount has enough to knock off Pittsburgh, but in senior Anthony Ireland the Lions have one of the nation’s best floor generals. This experience should benefit Pitt sophomore PG James Robinson down the line.
TOP 25 GAMES
- No. 3 Kentucky vs. No. 20 Baylor, 10:00 p.m. (ESPN)
- South Carolina at No. 9 Oklahoma State, 9:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Maine at No. 12 UConn, 7:00 p.m. (ESPN3)
- Loyola Marymount at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. (ESPN3)
- Arizona State at DePaul, 7:00 p.m. (FS1)
- Fairfield at Quinnipiac, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)