Dec 6, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
The trying career of Allan Chaney has come to an end.
After beginning at the University of Florida for his freshman year, then transferring to Virginia Tech where he never was cleared to play due to a case of viral mycarditis — an infection that results in inflammation of the heart — he finally ended up at High Point where he starred for the Panthers last season.
ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported the news:
Channey’s heart condition has been an ongoing concern since 2010, and is the reason for his career coming to an end prematurely.
Earlier this season in a game at home against Wofford, Chaney collapsed.
Chaney’s wireless internal defibrillator went off for an unknown reason against Wofford and was the reason for his collapse. After this incident, Chaney missed High Point’s next two games against Stephen F. Austin and Georgetown.
Last season, Chaney averaged 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. Through High Point’s first four games this season, Chaney was on his way to another big year as he was averaging 18.3 points and 9.8 rebounds.
As tragic as Chaney’s career coming to an end in this fashion is, the possibility of a true tragedy occurring as a result of his heart complications was simply too big a risk for Chaney to continue playing.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)