Dec 6, 2013, 8:36 PM EST
The trying career of Allan Chaney has come to an end.
After beginning at the University of Florida for his freshman year, then transferring to Virginia Tech where he never was cleared to play due to a case of viral mycarditis — an infection that results in inflammation of the heart – he finally ended up at High Point where he starred for the Panthers last season.
ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported the news:
Channey’s heart condition has been an ongoing concern since 2010, and is the reason for his career coming to an end prematurely.
Earlier this season in a game at home against Wofford, Chaney collapsed.
Chaney’s wireless internal defibrillator went off for an unknown reason against Wofford and was the reason for his collapse. After this incident, Chaney missed High Point’s next two games against Stephen F. Austin and Georgetown.
Last season, Chaney averaged 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. Through High Point’s first four games this season, Chaney was on his way to another big year as he was averaging 18.3 points and 9.8 rebounds.
As tragic as Chaney’s career coming to an end in this fashion is, the possibility of a true tragedy occurring as a result of his heart complications was simply too big a risk for Chaney to continue playing.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)