Dec 6, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
The trying career of Allan Chaney has come to an end.
After beginning at the University of Florida for his freshman year, then transferring to Virginia Tech where he never was cleared to play due to a case of viral mycarditis — an infection that results in inflammation of the heart — he finally ended up at High Point where he starred for the Panthers last season.
ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported the news:
Channey’s heart condition has been an ongoing concern since 2010, and is the reason for his career coming to an end prematurely.
Earlier this season in a game at home against Wofford, Chaney collapsed.
Chaney’s wireless internal defibrillator went off for an unknown reason against Wofford and was the reason for his collapse. After this incident, Chaney missed High Point’s next two games against Stephen F. Austin and Georgetown.
Last season, Chaney averaged 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. Through High Point’s first four games this season, Chaney was on his way to another big year as he was averaging 18.3 points and 9.8 rebounds.
As tragic as Chaney’s career coming to an end in this fashion is, the possibility of a true tragedy occurring as a result of his heart complications was simply too big a risk for Chaney to continue playing.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)