Dec 6, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
With two games remaining in the suspensions of guard Dominic Artis and forward Ben Carter, Oregon will see its depth improve in short order. And apparently the Ducks will add another player, as freshman forward Jordan Bell has qualified and is now able to join the team. Bell, who played at Long Beach (Calif.) Poly, needed to raise his SAT score before being able to qualify.
The news was first reported on Thursday by Matt Prehm of Duck Territory.
Bell’s a highly-athletic forward at 6-foot-7, with that ability allowing him to make an impact as a shot-blocker defensively and an above-the-rim finisher on the other end of the floor. The question now is whether or not Oregon head coach Dana Altman will look to add Bell to the front court rotation or redshirt him and thus preserve a season of eligibility.
After beating Georgetown by seven in their season opener the Ducks have won each of their last six games by 15 points or more, scoring at least 100 points in two of those games. Inside Mike Moser (13.7 ppg, 7.0 rpg), Elgin Cook (10.4, 5.0) and Richard Amardi (7.0, 4.6) have been the best players in the rotation, with Waverly Austin being another valuable reserve.
Whether or not Bell gets a shot at playing time will depend on how quickly he picks up Altman’s system obviously, and there’s likely to be some rust as well. And with Carter likely factoring into the rotation when he returns, it isn’t as if Oregon has to get a major contribution from Bell.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)