Dec 6, 2013, 8:55 AM EST
Arizona claims top spot after North Carolina bounces another top five team (Sports Illustrated)
In the latest installment of Luke Winn’s power rankings, Arizona moves into the top spot after Michigan State fell at home on Wednesday night. Three Big Ten teams are in the Top 5, with one being a Wisconsin team that’s already put together a solid resume that should benefit them going forward.
Les wants more defense out of UC Davis (Sacramento Bee)
UC Davis is in the midst of a four-game losing streak, which they will attempt to end against Nevada on Saturday night. The biggest reason for the struggles: defense, and it’s important that the Aggies improve in this area with the prolific Deonte Burton running the show for the visiting Wolf Pack.
Cauley-Stein’s shot-blocking helps No. 3 Kentucky (Associated Press)
Kentucky’s freshmen have received a lot of attention thus far, but one of the big reasons why the Wildcats have played so well has been the presence of sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein. Averaging 9.6 points, 8.4 rebounds and 3.9 blocks per game on the season, Cauley-Stein has blocked 20 shots in the last three games. The Wildcats take on No. 20 Baylor tonight.
Weekend homework: Colorado’s chance (ESPN)
Since losing to Baylor in the season opener Colorado’s won eight straight games, but that streak will be put to the test on Saturday afternoon when No. 6 Kansas visits the Coors Events Center. The Jayhawks blew CU out of the water in last season’s meeting, which should serve as motivation, but the game also offers Colorado a chance at the signature win currently missing fro their resume.
Isaiah Austin: “Kentucky is not better than us in any way, shape or form” (Dallas Morning News)
Sophomore forward Isaiah Austin is a key player for Baylor, and he’ll need to have a big game if the Bears are to have a shot at knocking off No. 3 Kentucky tonight in Arlington, Texas. And while the focus should be on what the game means to both teams there’s also the fact that there will be plenty of NBA scouts in attendance, with many wanting to see what progress Austin’s made from a skill standpoint.
Rebels prepping for big challenge in renewed series at No. 2 Arizona (Las Vegas Sun)
UNLV’s endured its share of struggles thus far, and a good showing at No. 2 Arizona on Saturday would go a long way towards helping Dave Rice’s team turn things around ahead of the start of Mountain West play. And there is some history between the two programs, as they staged some incredible games during the 1980s and 1990s.
SDSU-USD series becoming a rarity (San Diego Union-Tribune)
Last night No. 24 San Diego State held off city rival San Diego 65-64 at Jenny Craig Pavilion. The two teams have met in each of the last 15 seasons, alternating home courts every year. And while SDSU sees the value in such series, that can’t be said for other power programs across the country who tend to avoid taking on such road tests in non-conference play.
Cowboys spend week learning from loss to Memphis (The Oklahoman)
No. 9 Oklahoma State’s loss to Memphis in the title game of the Old Spice Classic on Sunday wouldn’t be described as a stunning result, as the Tigers are a talented team that was motivated by what happened in Stillwater two weeks prior. The result, and how it occurred, provided Travis Ford’s team with some needed teaching points as they look to make a run at the Big 12 crown.
Robbins’ role takes a jump (Corvallis Gazette Times)
As a freshman, Oregon State guard Victor Robbins didn’t see too much playing time as he averaged just five minutes per game. But as a sophomore Robbins has moved into the starting lineup and he’s taken advantage of the increased opportunities, posting averages of 8.4 points and three rebounds per game.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)