Dec 6, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
During their three games in The Bahamas last weekend the Xavier Musketeers were shorthanded in the front court, as senior forward Erik Stenger was unable to participate due to an illness. The issues began shortly before the Musketeers left the States, as Stenger underwent medical testing (including bloodwork) after being “unusually lethargic” during practices.
On Thursday it was reported that Stenger could miss the next 2-3 weeks due to a stomach ailment.
“Anytime you hear the word ‘bloodwork,’ you get a little nervous. But Erik’s fine,” Mack said. “I don’t know the technical term for it but he’s got a very aggravated stomach. He’s on medication now. He’s going to be fine. But he’s also going to be out until his blood gets to where it needs to be.”
Stenger played an average of 16 mpg in Xavier’s first four games of the season, posting averages of 5.5 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. His season highs in points (nine) and blocks (two) came in the Musketeers’ season-opening win over Gardner-Webb, and he grabbed a season-high seven rebounds in a win over Tennessee.
In their three losses in The Bahamas the Musketeers had some issues in regards to defensive efficiency, with Iowa, Tennessee and USC each scoring at least one point per possession. In no game prior did Xavier allow the opposition to do so. Stenger will help defensively and on the boards, but until he returns the current big men at coach Mack’s disposal will need to step up.
Matt Stainbrook (7.9 rpg) and James Farr (6.2) are the team’s leading rebounders with redshirt freshman Jalen Reynolds adding four rebounds per contest in just over 14 minutes of action per game.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)