Dec 6, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
During their three games in The Bahamas last weekend the Xavier Musketeers were shorthanded in the front court, as senior forward Erik Stenger was unable to participate due to an illness. The issues began shortly before the Musketeers left the States, as Stenger underwent medical testing (including bloodwork) after being “unusually lethargic” during practices.
On Thursday it was reported that Stenger could miss the next 2-3 weeks due to a stomach ailment.
“Anytime you hear the word ‘bloodwork,’ you get a little nervous. But Erik’s fine,” Mack said. “I don’t know the technical term for it but he’s got a very aggravated stomach. He’s on medication now. He’s going to be fine. But he’s also going to be out until his blood gets to where it needs to be.”
Stenger played an average of 16 mpg in Xavier’s first four games of the season, posting averages of 5.5 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. His season highs in points (nine) and blocks (two) came in the Musketeers’ season-opening win over Gardner-Webb, and he grabbed a season-high seven rebounds in a win over Tennessee.
In their three losses in The Bahamas the Musketeers had some issues in regards to defensive efficiency, with Iowa, Tennessee and USC each scoring at least one point per possession. In no game prior did Xavier allow the opposition to do so. Stenger will help defensively and on the boards, but until he returns the current big men at coach Mack’s disposal will need to step up.
Matt Stainbrook (7.9 rpg) and James Farr (6.2) are the team’s leading rebounders with redshirt freshman Jalen Reynolds adding four rebounds per contest in just over 14 minutes of action per game.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)