Dec 8, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Last week, the Dayton Flyers made a surprise run in the Maui Invitational, defeating Gonzaga, outplaying Baylor before the Bears rallied late in the game to advance to the finals, and then concluding their trip in Hawaii with a win over Cal.
The Flyers were picked to finish seventh in the Atlantic 10, but the successful string of games propelled them into the top 25 this last week, one of two A-10 teams ranked along with UMass.
But Dayton got a reality check on Saturday, when No. 25 Flyers made the trip to Normal, Ill., and left with an 81-75 loss to Illinois State.
The Flyers trailed by seven points going into the break, but Dayton stormed back to take the lead 50-48, but five turnovers over the next seven minutes let the Redbirds take a 67-57 advantage.
In the game, Dayton committed a season-high 18 turnovers, something that wasn’t an issue out in Maui. The Flyers also left eight points at the line, shooting 12-of-20. In the first game back from Maui on Wednesday against Delaware State, Dayton missed 13 free throws, part of the reason why the Hornets were able to hang around in the first half.
Dayton has proven to be a better team than many thought entering the season. With a good recruiting class and impact transfers coupled some key returners, the Flyers have the tools to end up towards the top of the Atlantic 10 standings. The progress the Flyers made in Maui was slowed down a bit on Saturday, but Archie Miller will have a week to prepare his guys before the team’s next game on Dec. 14 against Central Michigan.
The Flyers still have several chances to make up for the loss to Illinois State with non-conference games against Iona, USC and Ole Miss in Oxford, remaining on their schedule.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)