Dec 8, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Michigan leading scorer Nik Stauskas rolled his ankle in the second half of the Wolverines’ 63-61 loss to Charlotte in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off championship game on Nov. 24.
That ankle kept him out in a blowout win against Coppin State, and thanks to the defensive performances of Tyler Thornton and Matt Jones, Stauskas scored just four points (all off free throws) in Michigan’s 79-69 loss to Duke on Tuesday night.
On Saturday, according to the box score — 25 points off 7-of-11 shooting with two rebounds and four assists in a 107-53 win over Houston Baptist — it would appear that the sophomore is back to his old form. But according to Brendan Quinn of MLive.com, Stauskas is still recovering.
“I felt pretty good,” Stauskas said following Saturday’s game. “It’s not 100 percent yet, but it’s getting there, it’s getting there.
“Yeah, I’m about, like, 90 (percent). It’s not even really hurting anymore, it’s got a little bit of stiffness and so were doing treatment right now to get rid of that.”
Stauskas will have almost an entire week to get to as close to full strength as possible. And Michigan will need him to. On Saturday, Arizona, which will top the polls this week, will make the trip to Ann Arbor. On Tuesday night in Durham, the Wolverines struggled to score points without a healthy Stauskas. Next Saturday, Derrick Walton, Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary will all have to produce, along with Stauskas, if Michigan wants to pull the upset.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)