Dec 8, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Michigan leading scorer Nik Stauskas rolled his ankle in the second half of the Wolverines’ 63-61 loss to Charlotte in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off championship game on Nov. 24.
That ankle kept him out in a blowout win against Coppin State, and thanks to the defensive performances of Tyler Thornton and Matt Jones, Stauskas scored just four points (all off free throws) in Michigan’s 79-69 loss to Duke on Tuesday night.
On Saturday, according to the box score — 25 points off 7-of-11 shooting with two rebounds and four assists in a 107-53 win over Houston Baptist — it would appear that the sophomore is back to his old form. But according to Brendan Quinn of MLive.com, Stauskas is still recovering.
“I felt pretty good,” Stauskas said following Saturday’s game. “It’s not 100 percent yet, but it’s getting there, it’s getting there.
“Yeah, I’m about, like, 90 (percent). It’s not even really hurting anymore, it’s got a little bit of stiffness and so were doing treatment right now to get rid of that.”
Stauskas will have almost an entire week to get to as close to full strength as possible. And Michigan will need him to. On Saturday, Arizona, which will top the polls this week, will make the trip to Ann Arbor. On Tuesday night in Durham, the Wolverines struggled to score points without a healthy Stauskas. Next Saturday, Derrick Walton, Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary will all have to produce, along with Stauskas, if Michigan wants to pull the upset.
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)