Dec 8, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Michigan leading scorer Nik Stauskas rolled his ankle in the second half of the Wolverines’ 63-61 loss to Charlotte in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off championship game on Nov. 24.
That ankle kept him out in a blowout win against Coppin State, and thanks to the defensive performances of Tyler Thornton and Matt Jones, Stauskas scored just four points (all off free throws) in Michigan’s 79-69 loss to Duke on Tuesday night.
On Saturday, according to the box score — 25 points off 7-of-11 shooting with two rebounds and four assists in a 107-53 win over Houston Baptist — it would appear that the sophomore is back to his old form. But according to Brendan Quinn of MLive.com, Stauskas is still recovering.
“I felt pretty good,” Stauskas said following Saturday’s game. “It’s not 100 percent yet, but it’s getting there, it’s getting there.
“Yeah, I’m about, like, 90 (percent). It’s not even really hurting anymore, it’s got a little bit of stiffness and so were doing treatment right now to get rid of that.”
Stauskas will have almost an entire week to get to as close to full strength as possible. And Michigan will need him to. On Saturday, Arizona, which will top the polls this week, will make the trip to Ann Arbor. On Tuesday night in Durham, the Wolverines struggled to score points without a healthy Stauskas. Next Saturday, Derrick Walton, Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary will all have to produce, along with Stauskas, if Michigan wants to pull the upset.
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- The Chase for 180: Karvel Anderson leads shorthanded Robert Morris to NEC crown 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)