Dec 8, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Michigan leading scorer Nik Stauskas rolled his ankle in the second half of the Wolverines’ 63-61 loss to Charlotte in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off championship game on Nov. 24.
That ankle kept him out in a blowout win against Coppin State, and thanks to the defensive performances of Tyler Thornton and Matt Jones, Stauskas scored just four points (all off free throws) in Michigan’s 79-69 loss to Duke on Tuesday night.
On Saturday, according to the box score — 25 points off 7-of-11 shooting with two rebounds and four assists in a 107-53 win over Houston Baptist — it would appear that the sophomore is back to his old form. But according to Brendan Quinn of MLive.com, Stauskas is still recovering.
“I felt pretty good,” Stauskas said following Saturday’s game. “It’s not 100 percent yet, but it’s getting there, it’s getting there.
“Yeah, I’m about, like, 90 (percent). It’s not even really hurting anymore, it’s got a little bit of stiffness and so were doing treatment right now to get rid of that.”
Stauskas will have almost an entire week to get to as close to full strength as possible. And Michigan will need him to. On Saturday, Arizona, which will top the polls this week, will make the trip to Ann Arbor. On Tuesday night in Durham, the Wolverines struggled to score points without a healthy Stauskas. Next Saturday, Derrick Walton, Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary will all have to produce, along with Stauskas, if Michigan wants to pull the upset.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)