Dec 9, 2013, 9:23 AM EDT
Entering the season, there seemed to be a consensus top five among pundits: Michigan State, Duke, Louisville, Kentucky and Kansas. A month into the season, all five of those teams have lost at least one game. Four teams have jumped all five in our top 25 rankings: Arizona, Syracuse, Wisconsin and Ohio State.
1. Arizona (9-0, LW: No. 2): The Wildcats have been the best team in the country this season. I think that’s inarguable at this point. They solidified their standing with wins over Texas Tech and UNLV this week.
2. Syracuse (9-0, LW: No. 4): Coming off of a win in the Maui Invitational, the Orange put a whooping on Indiana in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Trevor Cooney and Tyler Ennis look like they may be the best back court in the country.
3. Wisconsin (10-0, LW: No. 9): By March, I don’t think Wisconsin will be the No. 3 team in the country. But they’ve beaten good opponents over and over again this season. It’s time to recognize that.
4. Ohio State (8-0, LW: No. 5): The Buckeyes have been dominant defensively. Offensively, LaQuinton Ross has woken up. He’s averaging 20.0 points in his last three games.
5. Louisville (8-1, LW: No. 6): Louisville put up 113 points on Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday, but we’re still waiting for the Cardinals to notch an elite win.
6. Michigan State (7-1, LW: No. 1): The Spartans saw their No. 1 ranking disappear with a 14-point loss to North Carolina at home. The Spartans need to get healthy in a hurry.
7. Duke (7-2, LW: No. 7): The Blue Devils beat Michigan on Tuesday in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. It remains to be seen whether that will be considered a good win by the end of the season.
8. Kentucky (7-2, LW: No. 3): The Wildcats may still end up being the best team in the country come March, but they’re going to have to find a way to shore up their defense if they want to make that happen.
9. Oklahoma State (8-1, LW: No. 10): The Pokes bounced back from a loss to Memphis by smacking around South Carolina on Friday night.
10. Kansas (6-2, LW: No. 8): The Jayhawks lost at the buzzer to Colorado, but Andrew Wiggins finally looked like “Andrew Wiggins”.
11. UConn (9-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (9-0, LW: No. 12)
13. Oregon (8-0, LW: No. 13)
14. Villanova (9-0, LW: No. 14)
15. Baylor (7-1, LW: 18)
16. Memphis (6-1, LW: No. 15)
17. Florida (6-2, LW: No. 17)
18. Iowa State (7-0, LW: No. 20)
19. Gonzaga (8-1, No. 21)
20. Iowa (9-1, No. 22)
21. UMass (8-0, No. 24)
22. San Diego State (7-1, No. 25)
23. Colorado (9-1, UR)
24. North Carolina (6-2, UR)
25. Pitt (8-0, UR)
Jul 29, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
UCLA reopened Pauley Pavilion in 2012 after $136 million worth of renovations.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The UCLA campus became flooded on Tuesday afternoon.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is entering his 40th season as a head coach.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Doug Wojcik has been investigated twice by the College of Charleston.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Cal told The Sporting News that he couldn’t leave behind the guys that decided to return to school. Do you buy it?
Jul 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A former UK coach gave his listeners some new details about Willie Cauley-Stein’s injury.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
Malik Monk is a dream come true for the mixtape makers.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
And now they’re considering selling it at football games.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Bruins will be tested by the time Pac-12 play rolls around.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Chad Frazier was arrested back in April.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Another surprise cut was made at the point guard spot
Jul 29, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Beyond the glitz and glamour of the highest levels of AAU basketball are kids fighting to land one of a few coveted scholarships.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The procedure wasn’t know until Agau took to social media.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Richard Pitino likes that he can feed his players now.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Wisconsin got some pretty cool rings for making the Final Four.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
After tearing his ACL less than a year ago, Harry Giles looks healthy and prepared to battle for No. 1 in the Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins will be working with pros this summer.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Seven thoughts are a weekend at AAU Nationals and Super Showcase in Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Haley is the first member of Washington’s 2016 recruiting class.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Our Raphielle Johnson spent five days at the tournaments out in Vegas last week. Here are his thoughts on them.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)