Dec 9, 2013, 12:09 PM EDT
We knew that Michigan State was banged up the way that they finished their loss to North Carolina last week.
Tom Izzo expounded on those issues this week.
On Monday, Izzo said that center Matt Costello will be out “two to three weeks minimum.” Izzo hasn’t confirmed the diagnosis, but he told reporters on Monday that Costello had been playing sick for a couple weeks and hinted in a radio interview on Friday that it was mono. Costello had been the team’s starting center.
That’s not it, however.
Gary Harris was supposed to have an all-american caliber season now that he’s healthy, but Harris still isn’t healthy. It’s not the shoulder this year, luckily, but a sprained ankle that Harris suffered over the summer is still bothering him. “It’s not anything that’s career, that’s long-term,” Izzo said. “It isn’t healed. It’s not right.”
Adreian Payne is banged up as well, as he’s battling through plantar fasciitis that has kept him out of practices.
We talk a lot about how young teams like Kansas and Kentucky will get better as they learn and develop at the college level. Can’t the same be said about Michigan State as the Spartans work their way back to health?
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)