Dec 9, 2013, 12:09 PM EDT
We knew that Michigan State was banged up the way that they finished their loss to North Carolina last week.
Tom Izzo expounded on those issues this week.
On Monday, Izzo said that center Matt Costello will be out “two to three weeks minimum.” Izzo hasn’t confirmed the diagnosis, but he told reporters on Monday that Costello had been playing sick for a couple weeks and hinted in a radio interview on Friday that it was mono. Costello had been the team’s starting center.
That’s not it, however.
Gary Harris was supposed to have an all-american caliber season now that he’s healthy, but Harris still isn’t healthy. It’s not the shoulder this year, luckily, but a sprained ankle that Harris suffered over the summer is still bothering him. “It’s not anything that’s career, that’s long-term,” Izzo said. “It isn’t healed. It’s not right.”
Adreian Payne is banged up as well, as he’s battling through plantar fasciitis that has kept him out of practices.
We talk a lot about how young teams like Kansas and Kentucky will get better as they learn and develop at the college level. Can’t the same be said about Michigan State as the Spartans work their way back to health?
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)