Dec 9, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Bryant played in its first nationally televised game on the road Monday at Notre Dame on ESPNU, and they put up a fight against the Irish in a 70-59 loss.
Although Notre Dame was 6-2 entering the game, Bryant showed confidence throughout the game as Notre Dame never seemed to do what they needed to do to stop the Bryant offense from getting open shots.
The Bulldogs (6-3) were able to stay in the game thanks to the three-ball and some feisty play. Bryant was 9-for-23 from the three-point line and when they went cold in the second half, Notre Dame pulled away thanks in-part to a 44-30 rebounding advantage.
Jerian Grant was also 11-for-13 from the free throw line to help contribute to 23 points and nine assists and he came up big for the Irish. Garrick Sherman (13 rebounds) and Pat Connaughton (11 rebounds) also hit the glass hard.
The concerning part for Notre Dame comes in the form of the their perimeter defense. Bryant did a nice job, especially in the first half, moving the ball from side-to-side on offense and taking jumpers from all over the floor and Notre Dame didn’t close out on shooters on multiple occasions.
In ACC play, Notre Dame will have to shore up that perimeter defense against some three-point shooting teams in the league like Duke. It is interesting to note that the Irish only went seven deep against Bryant.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)