Dec 10, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
The inclement weather that made Sunday’s east coast NFL games so entertaining has been wreaking havoc with the travel schedules of a number of college hoops teams.
Over the weekend, a handful of games were cancelled or postponed. Today, word came down that Fairfield would be postponing their trip to Belmont because the Stags are unable to get out of Connecticut.
But the most notable weather-related travel issue is that of Boise State. The Broncos are in Lexington right now where they will face off with Kentucky tonight at Rupp Arena. Boise State is the nation’s highest-scoring team, a group loaded with perimeter players that are more accurate shooting a basketball than Mark Wahlberg was with a sniper rifle in ‘Shooter’.
Hopefully, that long-distance accuracy won’t be ruined by the fact that the Broncos were forced to take a bus from Chicago to Kentucky thanks to the cancellation of a connecting flight. They were supposed to land in Lexington at 3:30 p.m. local time on Monday, according to the Idaho Statesmen. Instead they took a seven-hour bus ride, arriving at midnight. That forced them to miss Monday’s practice and turned what should have been a long travel day into nearly 18 hours in transit.
That’s a long time for a bunch of tall athletes to spend scrunched into seats on a plane or a bus.
“We’re not going to use it as an excuse,” Boise State coach Leon Rice told the paper. “The only thing that makes it difficult is the team we’re playing Tuesday. Our guys are pretty resilient, so I think they’ll handle it well.”
“They’ve handled it well, and handled it well in the past. My first year (in 2011), we got caught on Donner Pass on our way to Nevada. We had to eat one of the freshmen.”
The good news, besides the fact that all the freshmen actually survived that trip? Boise State beat Nevada.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)