Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
The 2013-2014 season is sure to be a thrilling Player of the Year race, so to keep track of it, we will be posting weekly Player of the Year Power Rankings for your reading goodness.
Who’d we miss? Who’s ranked too high? We love to overlook your team’s best player and overrate your rival’s superstar.
1) Shabazz Napier, UConn: Napier’s already made countless big shots in big moments this season, shining in UConn’s wins over Florida, Indiana and Boston College. He’s averaging 15.3 points, 7.0 boards, 5.9 assists and shooting 57.1% from three.
2) Jabari Parker, Duke: Parker is the nation’s best all-around offensive weapon. He’s more-or-less unstoppable at this level, averaging 22.1 points with shooting splits of 57.1/46.7/72.5. Should I mention, he’s averaging 1.6 blocks and 1.1 steals?
3) Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State: Smart struggled when Oklahoma State went down to Orlando for the Old Spice Classic, but he’s still posting 19.8 points, 4.9 boards, 3.8 assists and 2.9 steals per night. He’s cut down on turnovers and improved his three-point percentage as well.
4) Julius Randle, Kentucky: Randle has come back to earth a bit the past two games, getting exposed a bit against the length of Providence and Baylor. And he still averaged 14.0 points, 8.0 boards and 4.0 assists in those two games.
5) Doug McDermott, Creighton: McDermott bounced back from a rough week out in California by putting up 33 points on in-state rival Nebraska. The concern: if he struggled against GW’s Isaiah Armwood, what happens in the Big East?
6) Nick Johnson, Arizona: Johnson struggled a bit from the floor against UNLV, finishing just 4-for-15 from the floor, but he’s the most important player on Arizona’s roster. He’s a terrific defender, a 16.6 ppg-scorer and their best perimeter threat with Gabe York struggling.
7) Keith Appling, Michigan State: Appling needed to drop a bit after the loss to UNC, but it won’t hurt him too much in the long-term as long as he can shake off the hard-fall he took on his hip.
8) Russ Smith, Louisville: Is Smith trying to prove he’s a point guard? Since dropping 36 in a loss to North Carolina, he’s scored 37 points in three games, nothing 17 assists in the process.
9) Jahii Carson, Arizona State: Carson is still dealing with a nagging ankle injury that bothered him during The Wooden Legacy, but he had 23 points in a win over DePaul on Friday.
10) Lamar Patterson, Pitt: Patterson’s numbers are stellar — 16.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 5.1 apg, 1.8 spg, 42.1% 3PT — and Pitt’s undefeated, but this is nothing more than a courtesy mention until the Panthers beat someone relevant.
Others: Kyle Anderson, Ron Baker, Jordan Clarkson, Dylon Cormier, Aaron Craft, Tyler Haws, Alex Kirk, Rodney Hood, Roberto Nelson, Marcus Paige, Elfrid Payton, Elijah Pittman, Juwan Staten, T.J. Warren, Chaz Williams, Joseph Young
Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
More than two months after his older brother left the football program, Mickey Mitchell has decided to decommit from Ohio State.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
6-foot-7 forward Kevin Puryear was a point forward for his high school team last season.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
A quick explanation of why John Calipari can be a great coach without being a great x’s-and-o’s coach.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Do you agree with that ranking?
Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
But would hiring Cremins be a way to get Anthony Johnson the job?
Aug 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
It is absolutely hilarious.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Five points down, 2.8 seconds left, and victorious?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
Rozier will be the most important player for Louisville this season.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Redshirting helped Eli Carter as he looks to recover from a broken leg suffered in 2013, but he still isn’t at the level he was prior to the injury.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
According to reports Dominic Woodson will be enrolling at Tennessee in time for the start of classes Thursday.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Four-star shooting guard Terance Mann picked Florida State over Arizona State, Boston College, Indiana, Marquette and Rhode Island.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Curtis Malone is serving a 100-month sentence after pleading guilty to being a part of a drug ring that brought in $80,000 in profits per month.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
A report stated that a blood clot in Chai Baker’s leg may have resulted in his collapsing during a workout on Tuesday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deville Smith averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 32 games last season, making 18 starts.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Kennard is the No. 19 recruit in the Rivals top 150.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)