NAIA allows Cameron Rodriguez to keep $20K after hitting half-court shot at Oklahoma City Thunder game
Dec 10, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
On November 18, Cameron Rodriguez hit a half-court shot during a break in the Denver Nuggets-Oklahoma City Thunder game, with the award being $20,000 dollars. However there was a question if Rodriguez, a student-athlete on the Southwestern College basketball team, could accept the payment.
Southwestern College is an NAIA program in Winfield, Kans. The NAIA disallows players benefiting financially off their specific athletic skills. On Tuesday, the NAIA announced that an agreement had been reached after Rodriguez and the school recommended that Rodriguez use the money toward a scholarship.
The 6-foot-6 sophomore forward for the Southwestern College Moundbuilders gets the money and retains his eligibility. Sounds like a pretty good deal.
“We’re pleased with the decision from the membership and specifically the NEC [National Eligibility Committee] that allows Cameron to keep his winnings to use towards his education,” NAIA President and CEO Jim Carr said in a statement on Tuesday. “We feel the NAIA is the student-centered association in collegiate athletics, and this decision by our membership reflects that emphasis.”
“We are proud of our student-athlete for doing the right thing in contacting his coach before he did anything,” Dick Merriman, Southwestern College President said. “We are also proud of the NAIA for doing the right thing in their ruling. I am pleased with this outcome.”
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)