NAIA allows Cameron Rodriguez to keep $20K after hitting half-court shot at Oklahoma City Thunder game
Dec 10, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
On November 18, Cameron Rodriguez hit a half-court shot during a break in the Denver Nuggets-Oklahoma City Thunder game, with the award being $20,000 dollars. However there was a question if Rodriguez, a student-athlete on the Southwestern College basketball team, could accept the payment.
Southwestern College is an NAIA program in Winfield, Kans. The NAIA disallows players benefiting financially off their specific athletic skills. On Tuesday, the NAIA announced that an agreement had been reached after Rodriguez and the school recommended that Rodriguez use the money toward a scholarship.
The 6-foot-6 sophomore forward for the Southwestern College Moundbuilders gets the money and retains his eligibility. Sounds like a pretty good deal.
“We’re pleased with the decision from the membership and specifically the NEC [National Eligibility Committee] that allows Cameron to keep his winnings to use towards his education,” NAIA President and CEO Jim Carr said in a statement on Tuesday. “We feel the NAIA is the student-centered association in collegiate athletics, and this decision by our membership reflects that emphasis.”
“We are proud of our student-athlete for doing the right thing in contacting his coach before he did anything,” Dick Merriman, Southwestern College President said. “We are also proud of the NAIA for doing the right thing in their ruling. I am pleased with this outcome.”
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)