NAIA allows Cameron Rodriguez to keep $20K after hitting half-court shot at Oklahoma City Thunder game
Dec 10, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
On November 18, Cameron Rodriguez hit a half-court shot during a break in the Denver Nuggets-Oklahoma City Thunder game, with the award being $20,000 dollars. However there was a question if Rodriguez, a student-athlete on the Southwestern College basketball team, could accept the payment.
Southwestern College is an NAIA program in Winfield, Kans. The NAIA disallows players benefiting financially off their specific athletic skills. On Tuesday, the NAIA announced that an agreement had been reached after Rodriguez and the school recommended that Rodriguez use the money toward a scholarship.
The 6-foot-6 sophomore forward for the Southwestern College Moundbuilders gets the money and retains his eligibility. Sounds like a pretty good deal.
“We’re pleased with the decision from the membership and specifically the NEC [National Eligibility Committee] that allows Cameron to keep his winnings to use towards his education,” NAIA President and CEO Jim Carr said in a statement on Tuesday. “We feel the NAIA is the student-centered association in collegiate athletics, and this decision by our membership reflects that emphasis.”
“We are proud of our student-athlete for doing the right thing in contacting his coach before he did anything,” Dick Merriman, Southwestern College President said. “We are also proud of the NAIA for doing the right thing in their ruling. I am pleased with this outcome.”
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)