Dec 11, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Under first-year head coach Ray Giacoletti the Drake Bulldogs are off to a surprising 6-2 start to the 2013-14 season. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs maintaining that start became more difficult, as the school announced on Wednesday that senior guard Gary Ricks Jr. will miss the remainder of the season after fracturing a bone in his left foot.
Ricks was a starter in all eight regular season games for the Bulldogs, posting averages of 12.2 points, 3.8 rebounds and a team-best 3.6 assists in nearly 31 minutes of action per game. Shooting 49.2% from the field, 45.0% from beyond the arc and 88.9% from the charity stripe, Ricks was a more than capable sidekick for fellow senior guard Richard Carter (20.2, 4.4, 3.1).
With Ricks out of the rotation Drake will need more offensive production from senior wing Aaron Hawley (7.8 ppg) and junior wing Chris Caird (8.6) in order improve their standing within the Missouri Valley Conference. Junior guard Karl Madison (4.4, 3.0 apg), who’s averaging nearly 21 minutes per game off the bench, could see a boost in playing time as a result of Ricks’ injury.
The Missouri Valley coaches picked the Bulldogs to finish tenth in the league’s preseason poll.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)