Dec 11, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
Under first-year head coach Ray Giacoletti the Drake Bulldogs are off to a surprising 6-2 start to the 2013-14 season. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs maintaining that start became more difficult, as the school announced on Wednesday that senior guard Gary Ricks Jr. will miss the remainder of the season after fracturing a bone in his left foot.
Ricks was a starter in all eight regular season games for the Bulldogs, posting averages of 12.2 points, 3.8 rebounds and a team-best 3.6 assists in nearly 31 minutes of action per game. Shooting 49.2% from the field, 45.0% from beyond the arc and 88.9% from the charity stripe, Ricks was a more than capable sidekick for fellow senior guard Richard Carter (20.2, 4.4, 3.1).
With Ricks out of the rotation Drake will need more offensive production from senior wing Aaron Hawley (7.8 ppg) and junior wing Chris Caird (8.6) in order improve their standing within the Missouri Valley Conference. Junior guard Karl Madison (4.4, 3.0 apg), who’s averaging nearly 21 minutes per game off the bench, could see a boost in playing time as a result of Ricks’ injury.
The Missouri Valley coaches picked the Bulldogs to finish tenth in the league’s preseason poll.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)