Dec 11, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Under first-year head coach Ray Giacoletti the Drake Bulldogs are off to a surprising 6-2 start to the 2013-14 season. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs maintaining that start became more difficult, as the school announced on Wednesday that senior guard Gary Ricks Jr. will miss the remainder of the season after fracturing a bone in his left foot.
Ricks was a starter in all eight regular season games for the Bulldogs, posting averages of 12.2 points, 3.8 rebounds and a team-best 3.6 assists in nearly 31 minutes of action per game. Shooting 49.2% from the field, 45.0% from beyond the arc and 88.9% from the charity stripe, Ricks was a more than capable sidekick for fellow senior guard Richard Carter (20.2, 4.4, 3.1).
With Ricks out of the rotation Drake will need more offensive production from senior wing Aaron Hawley (7.8 ppg) and junior wing Chris Caird (8.6) in order improve their standing within the Missouri Valley Conference. Junior guard Karl Madison (4.4, 3.0 apg), who’s averaging nearly 21 minutes per game off the bench, could see a boost in playing time as a result of Ricks’ injury.
The Missouri Valley coaches picked the Bulldogs to finish tenth in the league’s preseason poll.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)