Dec 11, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Under first-year head coach Ray Giacoletti the Drake Bulldogs are off to a surprising 6-2 start to the 2013-14 season. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs maintaining that start became more difficult, as the school announced on Wednesday that senior guard Gary Ricks Jr. will miss the remainder of the season after fracturing a bone in his left foot.
Ricks was a starter in all eight regular season games for the Bulldogs, posting averages of 12.2 points, 3.8 rebounds and a team-best 3.6 assists in nearly 31 minutes of action per game. Shooting 49.2% from the field, 45.0% from beyond the arc and 88.9% from the charity stripe, Ricks was a more than capable sidekick for fellow senior guard Richard Carter (20.2, 4.4, 3.1).
With Ricks out of the rotation Drake will need more offensive production from senior wing Aaron Hawley (7.8 ppg) and junior wing Chris Caird (8.6) in order improve their standing within the Missouri Valley Conference. Junior guard Karl Madison (4.4, 3.0 apg), who’s averaging nearly 21 minutes per game off the bench, could see a boost in playing time as a result of Ricks’ injury.
The Missouri Valley coaches picked the Bulldogs to finish tenth in the league’s preseason poll.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)