Dec 11, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
With some of the biggest names in collegiate athletics attending IMG’s Intercollegiate Athletics Forum in New York City, many of the major issues on the table were discussed. Among those issues were the possibility of giving scholarship athletes stipend to help cover the full cost of attendance, and how the NCAA members with the most influence can go about governing themselves in order to provide that additional help.
Of course other topics were broached as well, including NCAA president Mark Emmert’s thoughts on the critiques of the current system made by ESPN color commentator Jay Bilas. Bilas has been outspoken in his criticism of the NCAA and of Emmert specifically, arguing that the current system needs to be changed.
On Wednesday, Emmert offered up words regarding Bilas’ critiques of the system and how much knowledge the former Duke forward has when it comes to running an organization such as the NCAA.
Of course Bilas took to Twitter to issue his response to Emmert’s statements regarding his knowledge on how to run an organization such as the NCAA.
With there being so many issues that need to be addressed when evaluating the long-term viability of the NCAA, there won’t be a lack of conversation in the coming months. But how about these two, with a moderator of course, discuss these issues on television? I’d watch it, and it could prove to be more fruitful than simply going back and forth by way of the media.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)