Dec 11, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
The resurgence that we all expected to see out of the Providence Friars this season looks like it may, once again, have to wait until next season.
Kris Dunn, the top point guard in the Class of 2012, will miss the rest of the season to undergo shoulder surgery, according to Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal.
Dunn’s shoulder has been banged up for a long time. He wasn’t at 100% as a senior in high school and he missed the start of his freshman season due to the injury. He wasn’t himself when he finally did see the court last year. The program expected him to be healthy this season, but one collision going for a loose ball in an exhibition game changed all of that.
There was a lot of hype for the Friars back in October, but that’s because we all expected head coach Ed Cooley to be able to field a team that included Dunn, Bryce Cotton and Brandon Austin. But with Austin suspended and Dunn hurt, it means that Cotton has continued to play out of position at the point guard spot. He always been more of a natural scorer than a creator.
But Cooley made an interesting point when I saw the Friars at Barclays Center 11 days ago. He was asked about Cotton playing out of position, and he said that, at this point, Cotton is just as comfortable playing the point as he is playing off the ball simply because something always happens with the Friars. Someone gets hurt or suspended or benched or what have you.
It has got to be frustrating for Cooley. He keeps bringing in talent, and the talent never ends up seeing the floor.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)