Dec 11, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
The resurgence that we all expected to see out of the Providence Friars this season looks like it may, once again, have to wait until next season.
Kris Dunn, the top point guard in the Class of 2012, will miss the rest of the season to undergo shoulder surgery, according to Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal.
Dunn’s shoulder has been banged up for a long time. He wasn’t at 100% as a senior in high school and he missed the start of his freshman season due to the injury. He wasn’t himself when he finally did see the court last year. The program expected him to be healthy this season, but one collision going for a loose ball in an exhibition game changed all of that.
There was a lot of hype for the Friars back in October, but that’s because we all expected head coach Ed Cooley to be able to field a team that included Dunn, Bryce Cotton and Brandon Austin. But with Austin suspended and Dunn hurt, it means that Cotton has continued to play out of position at the point guard spot. He always been more of a natural scorer than a creator.
But Cooley made an interesting point when I saw the Friars at Barclays Center 11 days ago. He was asked about Cotton playing out of position, and he said that, at this point, Cotton is just as comfortable playing the point as he is playing off the ball simply because something always happens with the Friars. Someone gets hurt or suspended or benched or what have you.
It has got to be frustrating for Cooley. He keeps bringing in talent, and the talent never ends up seeing the floor.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)