Dec 12, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
With the graduation of Rotnei Clarke and the season-ending injury suffered by Roosevelt Jones before the season even began, the Butler Bulldogs found themselves with some serious adjustments to make in their first season as a member of the Big East. One player asked to step up under first-year head coach Brandon Miller has been sophomore guard Kellen Dunham, and he’s been up to the task thus far.
Dunham’s averaging 18.2 points per game for the Bulldogs, who are 7-2 on the season with a game against Purdue next on the schedule. Dunham worked hard during the offseason and he continues to do so, and he’s reaped the rewards thanks to his use of a rigorous late-night shooting routine.
It is a calculated routine — every cut, every screen, every shot designed to simulate looks he’ll soon see in a game. First, 3-pointers from around the arc. Then, jumpers from the elbow of the free throw line. Right side. Left side. Shot-fakes and jumpers. Right hand. Left hand. Curls off screens, catch-and-shoot. Then, curls off screens, catch, shot-fake, shoot.
Dunham, joined on this night by freshman teammate Steven Bennett, flies through the repetitions like it’s the last minute of a tie game. The sweat drips off his frame while his gaze alternates between the floor and the rim, one repetition after another after another. This is his toil, the labor he’s grown to love.
The full profile on Dunham, written by Zack Keefer of the Indianapolis Star, is an interesting read and it can be found here.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)