Dec 12, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
With the graduation of Rotnei Clarke and the season-ending injury suffered by Roosevelt Jones before the season even began, the Butler Bulldogs found themselves with some serious adjustments to make in their first season as a member of the Big East. One player asked to step up under first-year head coach Brandon Miller has been sophomore guard Kellen Dunham, and he’s been up to the task thus far.
Dunham’s averaging 18.2 points per game for the Bulldogs, who are 7-2 on the season with a game against Purdue next on the schedule. Dunham worked hard during the offseason and he continues to do so, and he’s reaped the rewards thanks to his use of a rigorous late-night shooting routine.
It is a calculated routine — every cut, every screen, every shot designed to simulate looks he’ll soon see in a game. First, 3-pointers from around the arc. Then, jumpers from the elbow of the free throw line. Right side. Left side. Shot-fakes and jumpers. Right hand. Left hand. Curls off screens, catch-and-shoot. Then, curls off screens, catch, shot-fake, shoot.
Dunham, joined on this night by freshman teammate Steven Bennett, flies through the repetitions like it’s the last minute of a tie game. The sweat drips off his frame while his gaze alternates between the floor and the rim, one repetition after another after another. This is his toil, the labor he’s grown to love.
The full profile on Dunham, written by Zack Keefer of the Indianapolis Star, is an interesting read and it can be found here.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)