Dec 12, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
In his three-plus seasons at LIU-Brooklyn, senior point guard Jason Brickman has been one of the more productive point guards in the country. With a career average of 8.6 points per game the San Antonio native isn’t a prolific scorer, but when it comes to setting up his teammates Brickman’s been sensational.
On Thursday night Brickman accounted for 21 points and six assists in the Blackbirds’ 96-93 win at NJIT, breaking the Northeast Conference’s career assist record in the process. Now with 808 career assists, Brickman is four helpers ahead of former record-holder Drafton Davis of Marist (the Red Foxes were a member of the NEC before moving to the MAAC in 1997) and by the time this season’s over Brickman will shatter the mark established by Davis.
After averaging 8.5 assists per game last season Brickman’s up to 10.1 per contest, and he’s doing so without the assistance of senior forward Julian Boyd. Boyd suffered another torn ACL prior to the start of the season, and the hope is that the one-time NEC Player of the Year can rejoin the team when conference play begins in January. LIU’s made three straight trips to the NCAA tournament, and Brickman’s leadership at the point has been one of the key reasons why.
Without Boyd LIU’s relied on even greater offensive balance this season, with junior college transfer Gilbert Parga leading four players averaging double figures (entering Thursday’s game) with 11.8 points per game. With the Blackbirds still having at least 20 games left to play (not counting the conference tournament) this season, Brickman could very well eclipse the 1,000-assist mark before his career ends.
The NCAA’s all-time leader in assists is current Buffalo head coach Bobby Hurley, who amassed 1,076 in his four seasons at Duke (1989-93).
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)