Dec 12, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Utah, Kansas to meet next season in Kansas City (Utah Athletics)
On Wednesday it was announced that Utah and Kansas will meet on December 13, 2014 in Kansas City. While this may not be a significant boost for the Jayhawks it is for Larry Krystkowiak’s program, which didn’t put together the strongest of non-conference schedules this season.
Willie Cauley-Stein’s “sickle cell problem” (Louisville Courier-Journal)
Kentucky center Willie Cauley-Stein put together yet another solid performance in the Wildcats’ win over Boise State on Tuesday night, finishing with six points, seven rebounds and nine blocked shots. And he did so playing at less than full strength due to a medical condition few knew about prior. Cauley-Stein disclosed that he has the sickle cell trait, which at times has resulted in “bad chest pain.”
Trenton Catholic Academy’s Malachi Richardson ready to announce college choice (Trenton Times)
Top 25 2015 guard Malachi Richardson (Trenton, N.J.) announced on Wednesday that he will announce his college choice on Friday afternoon, picking one of the six schools on his final list. In the running for the 6-foot-5 Richardson’s services are Syracuse, Indiana, Villanova, Arizona, Connecticut and Rutgers.
Northern Arizona, Grand Canyon begin potential rivalry Saturday (Arizona Daily Sun)
On Saturday afternoon provisional Division I member Grand Canyon will visit Northern Arizona, with the two schools playing for the first time in 26 years. While this may not move the needle much in a state dominated by Pac-12 rivals Arizona and Arizona State it is an important game for both GCU and NAU, as both programs look to establish themselves within the state.
College Basketball Caucus: The most surprising team in the country? (USA Today)
A group of selected college basketball scribes have taken in the question of who’s the most surprising team in the country to this point in the season, with both Villanova and Wisconsin among the schools mentioned.
How do college basketball’s elite freshmen compare to former Syracuse star Carmelo Anthony? (Syracuse Post-Standard)
One of the first names that comes up when discussing successful one-and-done players is that of former Syracuse star Carmelo Anthony, who in his one season at the school helped lead the Orange to their lone national title. With this being the case, Mike Waters of the Post-Standard took a look at this year’s crop of freshmen with an eye towards how their debuts compare to that of Anthony.
Ex-N.C. State coach Lowe pleads guilty to tax charges (Sports Illustrated)
Former N.C. State head coach Sidney Lowe pleaded guilty to charges of failing to file his North Carolina tax returns on Wednesday, with the state alleging that he did not file from 2009 to 2011. As part of his sentence Lowe received a suspended 45-day jail sentence, 100 hours of community service and he’ll have to pay $79,000 in restitution and a $2,000 fine.
2015 center Deyonta Davis verbally commits to attend Michigan State (MLive.com)
On Wednesday Michigan State added a recruit to its 2015 class as 6-foot-9 center Deyonta Davis (Muskegon, Mich.) verbally committed to attend the Big Ten school. Davis, who picked the Spartans over the likes of Iowa State and Memphis, stated that the school’s closeness to home factored into his decision.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)