Dec 12, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Does Kentucky have an attendance issue?
According to John Clay of the Lexington Herald-Leader, they do.
Which is crazy when you think about it. Because this is the same program that brings in crowds for scrimmages and Midnight Madness that would set records at just about any other school in the country.
Average attendance has gone from 23,868 through the first seven home games of 2009, John Calipari’s first season as the UK coach, to 23,116 in 2010, to 23,039 in 2011, to 22,071 in 2012 to 21,799 this season.
Clay has a couple theories about it. The home games this season have been weak, the seats that the students are given to sit it are way up in the rafters, and the experience of watching a game on a 60-inch plasma is almost as good as watching from the arena when you’re paying for expensive seats, expensive drinks and expensive hot dogs.
His last point is the most interesting: Rupp Arena has become stale.
Now, some of that is, obviously, the semi-boring home games they have played, but this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this. For a big game, Rupp can get rowdy, but generally speaking, it’s not the same kind of environment as a place like Cameron or Phog Allen.
Kentucky fans, chime in here. I’m curious your take on it. Is Rupp a boring place to watch a game?
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 0
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)