Dec 12, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Does Kentucky have an attendance issue?
According to John Clay of the Lexington Herald-Leader, they do.
Which is crazy when you think about it. Because this is the same program that brings in crowds for scrimmages and Midnight Madness that would set records at just about any other school in the country.
Average attendance has gone from 23,868 through the first seven home games of 2009, John Calipari’s first season as the UK coach, to 23,116 in 2010, to 23,039 in 2011, to 22,071 in 2012 to 21,799 this season.
Clay has a couple theories about it. The home games this season have been weak, the seats that the students are given to sit it are way up in the rafters, and the experience of watching a game on a 60-inch plasma is almost as good as watching from the arena when you’re paying for expensive seats, expensive drinks and expensive hot dogs.
His last point is the most interesting: Rupp Arena has become stale.
Now, some of that is, obviously, the semi-boring home games they have played, but this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this. For a big game, Rupp can get rowdy, but generally speaking, it’s not the same kind of environment as a place like Cameron or Phog Allen.
Kentucky fans, chime in here. I’m curious your take on it. Is Rupp a boring place to watch a game?
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)