Dec 13, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
One of the top wings in the 2015 class, 6-foot-6 Malachi Richardson verbally committed to attend Syracuse on Friday afternoon according to multiple outlets. Richardson, who attends Trenton (N.J.) Catholic, picked the Orange over Indiana, UConn, Rutgers, Arizona and Villanova. He’s the second verbal commitment in Syracuse’s 2015 recruiting class, joining power forward Tyler Lydon.
Richardson’s held in high regard by many of the major scouting services, and his combination of skill, length and athleticism make him a good fit for Jim Boeheim’s system on both ends of the floor. Syracuse loses C.J. Fair at the end of this season but players such as Trevor Cooney, Jerami Grant and Mike Gbinije would all have eligibility remaining come 2015 (if they were all to remain on campus, of course).
Richardson spent last season at Roselle Catholic where he teamed up with forward Tyler Roberson, who’s now a freshman at Syracuse, and guard Aakim Saintil (now at South Alabama) to lead that school to New Jersey Non-Public Group B and Tournament of Champions titles. Below are some clips of Richardson in action at Roselle Catholic last season.
In the TOC title game against St. Joseph’s (Metuchen) Richardson scored 22 points to lead the Lions to the 65-49 win over a team led by Kentucky signee Karl Towns Jr. Below are some highlights of Richardson in action.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)