Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams
Dec 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
On Friday it was reported that former North Carolina guard Will Graves was arrested at his home on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. What adds intrigue to the story is the fact that Graves reportedly lives in a home he rents from North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, according to WTVD in Raleigh, N.C.
A UNC spokesperson says Will Graves was finishing his degree at UNC and working as a part-time video coordinator for the basketball team this semester.
UNC says Coach Williams rented the house to Graves, and Graves paid for it.
Roy Williams is aware of the arrest and is “disappointed about it”, according to UNC. Graves has been in trouble before, being kicked off the team in 2010 for violating team rules.
One could have a lengthy discussion about the laws as they pertain to marijuana, and that’s likely to happen in some circles. But for a program that went through the P.J. Hairston/Haydn “Fats” Thomas situation (both he and Leslie McDonald remain sidelined due to an ongoing NCAA investigation) during the spring, this is another headline North Carolina didn’t need.
Difficult to see this having any impact on the Tar Heels’ preparations for No. 11 Kentucky, but it’s another line of questioning that the head coach will likely have to deal with at some point.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)