Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams
Dec 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
On Friday it was reported that former North Carolina guard Will Graves was arrested at his home on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. What adds intrigue to the story is the fact that Graves reportedly lives in a home he rents from North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, according to WTVD in Raleigh, N.C.
A UNC spokesperson says Will Graves was finishing his degree at UNC and working as a part-time video coordinator for the basketball team this semester.
UNC says Coach Williams rented the house to Graves, and Graves paid for it.
Roy Williams is aware of the arrest and is “disappointed about it”, according to UNC. Graves has been in trouble before, being kicked off the team in 2010 for violating team rules.
One could have a lengthy discussion about the laws as they pertain to marijuana, and that’s likely to happen in some circles. But for a program that went through the P.J. Hairston/Haydn “Fats” Thomas situation (both he and Leslie McDonald remain sidelined due to an ongoing NCAA investigation) during the spring, this is another headline North Carolina didn’t need.
Difficult to see this having any impact on the Tar Heels’ preparations for No. 11 Kentucky, but it’s another line of questioning that the head coach will likely have to deal with at some point.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 3
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)