Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams
Dec 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
On Friday it was reported that former North Carolina guard Will Graves was arrested at his home on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. What adds intrigue to the story is the fact that Graves reportedly lives in a home he rents from North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, according to WTVD in Raleigh, N.C.
A UNC spokesperson says Will Graves was finishing his degree at UNC and working as a part-time video coordinator for the basketball team this semester.
UNC says Coach Williams rented the house to Graves, and Graves paid for it.
Roy Williams is aware of the arrest and is “disappointed about it”, according to UNC. Graves has been in trouble before, being kicked off the team in 2010 for violating team rules.
One could have a lengthy discussion about the laws as they pertain to marijuana, and that’s likely to happen in some circles. But for a program that went through the P.J. Hairston/Haydn “Fats” Thomas situation (both he and Leslie McDonald remain sidelined due to an ongoing NCAA investigation) during the spring, this is another headline North Carolina didn’t need.
Difficult to see this having any impact on the Tar Heels’ preparations for No. 11 Kentucky, but it’s another line of questioning that the head coach will likely have to deal with at some point.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 3
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 7
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)