Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams
Dec 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
On Friday it was reported that former North Carolina guard Will Graves was arrested at his home on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. What adds intrigue to the story is the fact that Graves reportedly lives in a home he rents from North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, according to WTVD in Raleigh, N.C.
A UNC spokesperson says Will Graves was finishing his degree at UNC and working as a part-time video coordinator for the basketball team this semester.
UNC says Coach Williams rented the house to Graves, and Graves paid for it.
Roy Williams is aware of the arrest and is “disappointed about it”, according to UNC. Graves has been in trouble before, being kicked off the team in 2010 for violating team rules.
One could have a lengthy discussion about the laws as they pertain to marijuana, and that’s likely to happen in some circles. But for a program that went through the P.J. Hairston/Haydn “Fats” Thomas situation (both he and Leslie McDonald remain sidelined due to an ongoing NCAA investigation) during the spring, this is another headline North Carolina didn’t need.
Difficult to see this having any impact on the Tar Heels’ preparations for No. 11 Kentucky, but it’s another line of questioning that the head coach will likely have to deal with at some point.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)