Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams
Dec 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
On Friday it was reported that former North Carolina guard Will Graves was arrested at his home on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. What adds intrigue to the story is the fact that Graves reportedly lives in a home he rents from North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, according to WTVD in Raleigh, N.C.
A UNC spokesperson says Will Graves was finishing his degree at UNC and working as a part-time video coordinator for the basketball team this semester.
UNC says Coach Williams rented the house to Graves, and Graves paid for it.
Roy Williams is aware of the arrest and is “disappointed about it”, according to UNC. Graves has been in trouble before, being kicked off the team in 2010 for violating team rules.
One could have a lengthy discussion about the laws as they pertain to marijuana, and that’s likely to happen in some circles. But for a program that went through the P.J. Hairston/Haydn “Fats” Thomas situation (both he and Leslie McDonald remain sidelined due to an ongoing NCAA investigation) during the spring, this is another headline North Carolina didn’t need.
Difficult to see this having any impact on the Tar Heels’ preparations for No. 11 Kentucky, but it’s another line of questioning that the head coach will likely have to deal with at some point.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)