Dec 13, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
College Basketball’s Top 25 Coaching Gigs (Sports on Earth)
It’s a topic that tends to come up just about every spring, with the coaching carousel leading many to wonder which head coaching jobs are the best in the sport. Will Leitch of Sports on Earth put together his list of the 25 best head coaching jobs in college basketball, with the usual suspects leading the way at the top.
The narrative of Andrew Wiggins is already growing tiresome (Busting Brackets)
“To those whom much is given, much is expected.” For college basketball’s top players with their status comes a great amount of scrutiny. Such has been life for Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins, whose performances are picked apart on a nightly basis. And for some, the narrative that has accompanied the freshman has become tiresome.
Shabazz Muhammad’s father pleads guilty in federal fraud case (Los Angeles Times)
On Thursday afternoon Ron Holmes, the father of former UCLA wing Shabazz Muhammad, pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to commit federal fraud in connection with some real estate deals he made in the Las Vegas area. Holmes, who originally entered a not guilty plea in May, received six months house arrest in 2000 a similar charge in Los Angeles County.
Louisville’s Mangok Mathiang trying to follow Gorgui Dieng’s growth curve (Louisville Courier-Journal)
Louisville head coach Rick Pitino made the decision a short time ago to move Mangok Mathiang into the starting lineup, and while some fans may have expected Mathiang to immediately become “Gorgui Dieng 2.0″ the process will take longer than that. The hope is that in time Mathiang will be able to add some weight (he currently weighs 212 pounds) and become an impact player in the post.
“Return to Rec” as much about history as it is future (State College News)
On Saturday Penn State will host Princeton, but instead of playing in their usual home building (the spacious Bryce Jordan Center) the Nittany Lions will do so at Rec Hall. Rec Hall was the program’s home for decades and Penn State was very tough to beat there, as they racked up a winning percentage of 73.7%. Penn State last played at Rec Hall in January 1996 before moving into the Bryce Jordan Center.
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner donates $250,000 to building plan (Associated Press)
On Thursday Memphis head coach Josh Pastner made the greatest contribution made by a head coach in the history of the program, as he donated $250,000 meant to help improve the athletic facilities on campus. One of those upgrades is expected to be a new practice and training facility for the basketball program.
DeAndre Kane carries father’s dream with him at Iowa State (CBS Sports)
Iowa State senior guard DeAndre Kane’s been one of the best transfers in the country thus far, helping to lead the way for a team that’s undefeated entering Friday’s game against No. 23 Iowa. Kane’s pushed forward despite losing his father in February 2012, wearing the number 50 in his honor.
Starting 5: Atlantic 10 better than the Big East? Very possibly (Sporting News)
Non-conference play gives us the opportunity to evaluate conferences and how they stack up against other leagues. And thanks to its solid start and successful runs by member teams in multiple in-season tournaments the Atlantic 10 has been better than some anticipated. And according to Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News, the A-10 could be closing the gap between itself and the Big East.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)