Dec 13, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
College Basketball’s Top 25 Coaching Gigs (Sports on Earth)
It’s a topic that tends to come up just about every spring, with the coaching carousel leading many to wonder which head coaching jobs are the best in the sport. Will Leitch of Sports on Earth put together his list of the 25 best head coaching jobs in college basketball, with the usual suspects leading the way at the top.
The narrative of Andrew Wiggins is already growing tiresome (Busting Brackets)
“To those whom much is given, much is expected.” For college basketball’s top players with their status comes a great amount of scrutiny. Such has been life for Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins, whose performances are picked apart on a nightly basis. And for some, the narrative that has accompanied the freshman has become tiresome.
Shabazz Muhammad’s father pleads guilty in federal fraud case (Los Angeles Times)
On Thursday afternoon Ron Holmes, the father of former UCLA wing Shabazz Muhammad, pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to commit federal fraud in connection with some real estate deals he made in the Las Vegas area. Holmes, who originally entered a not guilty plea in May, received six months house arrest in 2000 a similar charge in Los Angeles County.
Louisville’s Mangok Mathiang trying to follow Gorgui Dieng’s growth curve (Louisville Courier-Journal)
Louisville head coach Rick Pitino made the decision a short time ago to move Mangok Mathiang into the starting lineup, and while some fans may have expected Mathiang to immediately become “Gorgui Dieng 2.0″ the process will take longer than that. The hope is that in time Mathiang will be able to add some weight (he currently weighs 212 pounds) and become an impact player in the post.
“Return to Rec” as much about history as it is future (State College News)
On Saturday Penn State will host Princeton, but instead of playing in their usual home building (the spacious Bryce Jordan Center) the Nittany Lions will do so at Rec Hall. Rec Hall was the program’s home for decades and Penn State was very tough to beat there, as they racked up a winning percentage of 73.7%. Penn State last played at Rec Hall in January 1996 before moving into the Bryce Jordan Center.
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner donates $250,000 to building plan (Associated Press)
On Thursday Memphis head coach Josh Pastner made the greatest contribution made by a head coach in the history of the program, as he donated $250,000 meant to help improve the athletic facilities on campus. One of those upgrades is expected to be a new practice and training facility for the basketball program.
DeAndre Kane carries father’s dream with him at Iowa State (CBS Sports)
Iowa State senior guard DeAndre Kane’s been one of the best transfers in the country thus far, helping to lead the way for a team that’s undefeated entering Friday’s game against No. 23 Iowa. Kane’s pushed forward despite losing his father in February 2012, wearing the number 50 in his honor.
Starting 5: Atlantic 10 better than the Big East? Very possibly (Sporting News)
Non-conference play gives us the opportunity to evaluate conferences and how they stack up against other leagues. And thanks to its solid start and successful runs by member teams in multiple in-season tournaments the Atlantic 10 has been better than some anticipated. And according to Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News, the A-10 could be closing the gap between itself and the Big East.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)