Dec 14, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Arizona was down 58-50 on the road at Michigan with around six minutes left to play on Saturday and it looked for a little while like we would have our fourth No. 1 team of the new season with the way the game was going.
But the No. 1 Wildcats (11-0) remained patient and stuck to their strengths, and — for now — they’ll remain the No. 1 team in the land with a 72-70 win over Michigan (6-4). Despite the Wolverines leading for nearly the entire game, Sean Miller’s group finally took a 63-62 lead with 2:30 remaining on freshman Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s three-point play and held off Michigan despite the Wolverines shooting 50 percent from the field and 47 percent from three-point range (8-for-17).
Arizona stuck to their game plan, kept the tempo in their favor in a half-court style game in the second half, and wore down Michigan on the glass and on the interior. The Wildcats out-rebounded Michigan 37-24 and the Wolverines didn’t have an offensive rebound in the the second half until Mitch McGary pulled one down with 2:01 remaining as Arizona used 17 offensive rebounds to keep possessions alive and stay in the game until they clawed back.
A balanced scoring effort led Arizona as sophomore forward Brandon Ashley led with 18 points while Nick Johnson, Kaleb Tarczewski and Aaron Gordon all chipped in 14 points each. Arizona will have to find a little more perimeter shooting, only going 4-for-10 from three in a game where they could have used more early firepower, but they stuck to what they were good at, worked the ball inside, hit the glass and earned a tough road win at Michigan.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine and Taurean Waller-Prince also played well in stretches.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
Stefan Moody was the leading scorer last season for Ole Miss.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Dick Tarrant also led Richmond to the 1988 Sweet 16.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)