Dec 15, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
On Nov. 30, Georgetown head coach John Thompson III announced that he had dismissed junior forward Greg Whittington from the program.
Whittington has now found his new home, transferring to Rutgers to play for Eddie Jordan. Whittington was visiting Rutgers this weekend, and late on Saturday night it was reported that he would join Georgetown’s former conference opponent. Whittington’s commitment was first reported by Ron Bailey via Twitter.
He was being recruited by the likes of Memphis, Oregon and Nebraska since leaving the Georgetown program last month.
The transfer forward tore the ACL in his left knee in June, which sidelined him for this season before his dismal. The 6-foot-8 Whittington averaged 12.1 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game in a shortened 2012-2013 season due to academic issues. He missed the final 19 games of the season.
Whittington is the second player to transfer in to Rutgers for next season, joining guard Bishop Daniels, who left Miami and joined the Scarlet Knights in May.
He should offer an impact next season for Rutgers, as the university makes the move to the Big Ten Conference for the start of the 2014 season.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)