Dec 15, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
In its’ 59-45 win over Charleston Southern on Saturday, Alabama failed to reach the 60-point mark for the first time this season. One reason for the relative lack of the offensive production was the absence of starting guard Trevor Releford, who was held out of the game due to what was termed as “precautionary reasons.”
The reason for the move: Releford’s been dealing with a lingering hip injury, and according to Michael Casagrande of AL.com the point guard’s status for Alabama’s game against No. 12 Wichita State has yet to be decided.
A lingering hip “aggravation” was the reason they shut him down for the night. It bothered him since before the team’s trip to New York on Thanksgiving weekend.
“It just needs to get better,” Grant said. “It’s limiting his mobility a little bit. We just made a decision that he needed to let it calm down a little bit and get back. It shouldn’t be anything long term.”
Releford currently leads three Crimson Tide scoring in double figures with an average of 16.4 points to go along with 2.2 assists per game. Releford factors into 25.2% of Alabama’s possessions this season, and he’s playing an average of 32.9 minutes per game (fellow guard Retin Obasohan is tied for the lead in minutes). Given how Wichita State can get after opponents defensively, a less than 100% Releford (or no Releford at all) would make things very difficult on Alabama.
They’ll have their work cut out for them either way, but Alabama needs Releford on the floor if they’re to have a shot at upsetting the Shockers.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)