Dec 15, 2013, 4:19 PM EST
Through ten games the Maryland Terrapins have turned the ball over on nearly 20% of their possessions, but in their 66-62 win over Florida Atlantic on Saturday afternoon Mark Turgeon’s squad finished with just nine turnovers. Freshman Roddy Peters (five assists, three turnovers) has become more comfortable as the starting point guard, and both Nick Faust (five assists, two turnovers) and Evan Smotrycz (four assists, one turnover) were effective distributors against the Owls as well.
But there’s still a piece missing, and that is sophomore Seth Allen. Allen averaged 7.8 points and 2.3 assists per game as a freshman, and he was expected to be the one running the show when practice began. But Allen broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot during a practice, meaning that the Terrapins would be without him for 8-10 weeks.
On Saturday Turgeon stated that Allen, who is six weeks into his rehab process, remains on track for a return when Maryland dives back into ACC play according to Daniel Martin of CSN Baltimore.
Allen, who has been out since early November after undergoing surgery to repair a broken foot, underwent an X-ray on Thursday to assess his progress. Coach Mark Turgeon said on Friday that the timeline for his return remains the same as what it was when the procedure took place.
That’s good news for Maryland, which can certainly use some additional depth at the point. In addition to Peters the Terrapins started Dez Wells at the point and have even used Varun Ram in spot duty at the position. And when under control, Faust can help them in the distribution department as well. But Allen’s presence gives Maryland a player whose primary skill is that of a distributor.
If the Terrapins are to make a run at an NCAA tournament bid in their final season as a member of the ACC, they’ll need Allen to be back at full strength when he returns to the court.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)