Dec 16, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
The toughest part about putting these rankings together right now is trying to balance out the difference the performance we’ve seen to date and the potential that each team has on their roster.
Look at Kansas, for example. They’re lost three times to top 15 teams away from Phog Allen Fieldhouse, none of which came by more than six points. They have as much talent, top-to-bottom, as anyone in the country, and they have arguably the best head coach in the game. But that doesn’t change the fact that they’re sitting at 7-3.
I think the Jayhawks are still the best team in the Big 12, better than Baylor and better than Oklahoma State. I think they’re a better team than Oregon or Wichita State or UConn. But, a third of the way through the season, can we rank the Jayhawks higher than teams that have outperformed them?
1. Arizona (11-0, LW: No. 1): The Wildcats came back from 11 points down in the second half to beat Michigan in Ann Arbor on Saturday afternoon. Arizona just keeps on impressing. The week, it was the development of Brandon Ashley that started to draw attention.
2. Syracuse (10-0, LW: No. 2): The Orange only played one game this week, but it was a 68-63 win over former Big East rivals St. John’s at Madison Sqaure Garden. Tyler Ennis continues to play like an all-american, but C.J. Fair has been playing well of late as well.
3. Wisconsin (12-0, LW: No. 3): It was actually a relatively quiet week for the Badgers, who beat Horizon contender Milwaukee and Ohio Valley favorite Eastern Kentucky without breaking a sweat.
4. Ohio State (10-0, LW: No. 4): The Buckeyes are still locking people up defensively. Now that LaQuinton Ross looks like he may be breaking out of his funk, the Buckeyes are becoming more dangerous. Now if they would only play someone good …
5. Louisville (9-1, LW: No. 5): With Chris Jones out of the lineup, Russ Smith stepped in and posted a double-double, 14 points and 10 assists, in a 16-point win over Western Kentucky.
6. Michigan State (9-1, LW: No. 6): Sparty needs Christmas break to get here so they can get healthy. Tom Izzo’s club struggled to knock off Oakland on Saturday. Gary Harris, Adreian Payne, Keith Appling and Matt Costello — four starters — are all banged up right now.
7. Duke (7-2, LW: No. 7): Duke didn’t play this week because of finals.
8. Florida (7-2, LW: No. 17): I’m buying the Gators. I think they’re going to end up being one of the top five teams in the country in a month, especially now that it looks like Chris Walker’s first appearance is coming soon.
9. Oklahoma State (9-1, LW: No. 9): Le’Bryan Nash went for 22 points, 10 boards and three steals for the Pokes on Saturday. He’s a key for them, a third option and a post presence to help keep defenses honest.
10. Villanova (10-0, LW: No. 14): I watched some tape on Villanova and came away more impressed this weekend. This is the epitome of a Jay Wright team. Tough, talented guards and big men that create matchup nightmares on the perimeter. This will be a fun team to watch.
11. UConn (9-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (10-0, LW: No. 12)
13. Oregon (9-0, LW: No. 13)
14. Baylor (8-1, LW: No. 15)
15. Kansas (7-3, LW: No. 10)
16. North Carolina (7-2, LW: No. 24)
17. Kentucky (8-3, LW: No. 8)
18. Memphis (7-1, LW: No. 16)
19. Iowa State (7-0, LW: No. 18)
20. Gonzaga (10-1, LW: No. 19)
21. Iowa (10-1, LW: No. 20)
22. UMass (9-0, LW: No. 21)
23. San Diego State (7-1, LW: No. 22)
24. Colorado (10-1, LW: No. 23)
25. Pitt (10-0, LW: No. 25)
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Florida International had some bad luck over the weekend.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major has returned to the team.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board
Sep 15, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Brown is a 6-foot-7 powerhouse that has drawn some comparisons to Stanley Johnson.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
It’s the second recruit UCLA has lost this week.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The NCAA is trying to improve their ability to apply common sense to rules interpretations.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
They’ll be out there for six full days. To get tickets to watch a practice.
Sep 15, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
Avery Harriman continues his third battle with leukemia.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
It was less a shot at Coach K than it was a shot at USA Basketball.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
The best players in the D.C. area competed at DMVElite 80 over the weekend.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
Of Wyoming’s five 2015 verbal commitments, three have come from Florida natives.
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener (2)