Dec 16, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
The toughest part about putting these rankings together right now is trying to balance out the difference the performance we’ve seen to date and the potential that each team has on their roster.
Look at Kansas, for example. They’re lost three times to top 15 teams away from Phog Allen Fieldhouse, none of which came by more than six points. They have as much talent, top-to-bottom, as anyone in the country, and they have arguably the best head coach in the game. But that doesn’t change the fact that they’re sitting at 7-3.
I think the Jayhawks are still the best team in the Big 12, better than Baylor and better than Oklahoma State. I think they’re a better team than Oregon or Wichita State or UConn. But, a third of the way through the season, can we rank the Jayhawks higher than teams that have outperformed them?
1. Arizona (11-0, LW: No. 1): The Wildcats came back from 11 points down in the second half to beat Michigan in Ann Arbor on Saturday afternoon. Arizona just keeps on impressing. The week, it was the development of Brandon Ashley that started to draw attention.
2. Syracuse (10-0, LW: No. 2): The Orange only played one game this week, but it was a 68-63 win over former Big East rivals St. John’s at Madison Sqaure Garden. Tyler Ennis continues to play like an all-american, but C.J. Fair has been playing well of late as well.
3. Wisconsin (12-0, LW: No. 3): It was actually a relatively quiet week for the Badgers, who beat Horizon contender Milwaukee and Ohio Valley favorite Eastern Kentucky without breaking a sweat.
4. Ohio State (10-0, LW: No. 4): The Buckeyes are still locking people up defensively. Now that LaQuinton Ross looks like he may be breaking out of his funk, the Buckeyes are becoming more dangerous. Now if they would only play someone good …
5. Louisville (9-1, LW: No. 5): With Chris Jones out of the lineup, Russ Smith stepped in and posted a double-double, 14 points and 10 assists, in a 16-point win over Western Kentucky.
6. Michigan State (9-1, LW: No. 6): Sparty needs Christmas break to get here so they can get healthy. Tom Izzo’s club struggled to knock off Oakland on Saturday. Gary Harris, Adreian Payne, Keith Appling and Matt Costello — four starters — are all banged up right now.
7. Duke (7-2, LW: No. 7): Duke didn’t play this week because of finals.
8. Florida (7-2, LW: No. 17): I’m buying the Gators. I think they’re going to end up being one of the top five teams in the country in a month, especially now that it looks like Chris Walker’s first appearance is coming soon.
9. Oklahoma State (9-1, LW: No. 9): Le’Bryan Nash went for 22 points, 10 boards and three steals for the Pokes on Saturday. He’s a key for them, a third option and a post presence to help keep defenses honest.
10. Villanova (10-0, LW: No. 14): I watched some tape on Villanova and came away more impressed this weekend. This is the epitome of a Jay Wright team. Tough, talented guards and big men that create matchup nightmares on the perimeter. This will be a fun team to watch.
11. UConn (9-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (10-0, LW: No. 12)
13. Oregon (9-0, LW: No. 13)
14. Baylor (8-1, LW: No. 15)
15. Kansas (7-3, LW: No. 10)
16. North Carolina (7-2, LW: No. 24)
17. Kentucky (8-3, LW: No. 8)
18. Memphis (7-1, LW: No. 16)
19. Iowa State (7-0, LW: No. 18)
20. Gonzaga (10-1, LW: No. 19)
21. Iowa (10-1, LW: No. 20)
22. UMass (9-0, LW: No. 21)
23. San Diego State (7-1, LW: No. 22)
24. Colorado (10-1, LW: No. 23)
25. Pitt (10-0, LW: No. 25)
Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
The team many expect to be a national title contender has a new court to play on this season.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Crean addressed the recent off-court issues at a school event in Indianapolis.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
And the toss was a solid one as well.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Herard has scheduled official visits to three of the five remaining schools on his list.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 Canadian averaged 9.1 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last season.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Georgetown, Georgia Tech and Saint Joseph’s failed to make the cut for the New Jersey native.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Early favorite Maryland and reigning champion Wisconsin both open league play at home.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Williams’ arraignment on first degree suspicion of forgery charges was postponed until September 2.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Gabriel is a five-star prospect with offers from Kentucky and Duke.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Dambrot is the head coach at Akron.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Westbrook wasn’t a top 25 prospect in high school. He was a top three player in the NBA last year.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
It’s the first preseason all-american team that we’ve seen this summer.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
Zeller handed out a warning. Michael McRobbie was a bit more upset.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will take an official visit to one of the four schools this weekend.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes scored 18 points to lead a balanced scoring attack for the Spartans.
Aug 26, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
Michael McRobbie’s address came two days after Emmitt Holt and Thomas Bryant were cited for illegal possession of alcohol.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Seton Hall AD said his coaches haven’t had to deal with negative recruiting re: cost of attendance stipends, but he’s ready to act if so.
Aug 26, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
Lauren Hill raised more than $1.8 million for pediatric cancer research before she passed away.
Aug 26, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT
Get a look at potential No. 1 pick Ben Simmons.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’s still the second-highest paid Pitino in the coaching world.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)