Dec 16, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
The toughest part about putting these rankings together right now is trying to balance out the difference the performance we’ve seen to date and the potential that each team has on their roster.
Look at Kansas, for example. They’re lost three times to top 15 teams away from Phog Allen Fieldhouse, none of which came by more than six points. They have as much talent, top-to-bottom, as anyone in the country, and they have arguably the best head coach in the game. But that doesn’t change the fact that they’re sitting at 7-3.
I think the Jayhawks are still the best team in the Big 12, better than Baylor and better than Oklahoma State. I think they’re a better team than Oregon or Wichita State or UConn. But, a third of the way through the season, can we rank the Jayhawks higher than teams that have outperformed them?
1. Arizona (11-0, LW: No. 1): The Wildcats came back from 11 points down in the second half to beat Michigan in Ann Arbor on Saturday afternoon. Arizona just keeps on impressing. The week, it was the development of Brandon Ashley that started to draw attention.
2. Syracuse (10-0, LW: No. 2): The Orange only played one game this week, but it was a 68-63 win over former Big East rivals St. John’s at Madison Sqaure Garden. Tyler Ennis continues to play like an all-american, but C.J. Fair has been playing well of late as well.
3. Wisconsin (12-0, LW: No. 3): It was actually a relatively quiet week for the Badgers, who beat Horizon contender Milwaukee and Ohio Valley favorite Eastern Kentucky without breaking a sweat.
4. Ohio State (10-0, LW: No. 4): The Buckeyes are still locking people up defensively. Now that LaQuinton Ross looks like he may be breaking out of his funk, the Buckeyes are becoming more dangerous. Now if they would only play someone good …
5. Louisville (9-1, LW: No. 5): With Chris Jones out of the lineup, Russ Smith stepped in and posted a double-double, 14 points and 10 assists, in a 16-point win over Western Kentucky.
6. Michigan State (9-1, LW: No. 6): Sparty needs Christmas break to get here so they can get healthy. Tom Izzo’s club struggled to knock off Oakland on Saturday. Gary Harris, Adreian Payne, Keith Appling and Matt Costello — four starters — are all banged up right now.
7. Duke (7-2, LW: No. 7): Duke didn’t play this week because of finals.
8. Florida (7-2, LW: No. 17): I’m buying the Gators. I think they’re going to end up being one of the top five teams in the country in a month, especially now that it looks like Chris Walker’s first appearance is coming soon.
9. Oklahoma State (9-1, LW: No. 9): Le’Bryan Nash went for 22 points, 10 boards and three steals for the Pokes on Saturday. He’s a key for them, a third option and a post presence to help keep defenses honest.
10. Villanova (10-0, LW: No. 14): I watched some tape on Villanova and came away more impressed this weekend. This is the epitome of a Jay Wright team. Tough, talented guards and big men that create matchup nightmares on the perimeter. This will be a fun team to watch.
11. UConn (9-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (10-0, LW: No. 12)
13. Oregon (9-0, LW: No. 13)
14. Baylor (8-1, LW: No. 15)
15. Kansas (7-3, LW: No. 10)
16. North Carolina (7-2, LW: No. 24)
17. Kentucky (8-3, LW: No. 8)
18. Memphis (7-1, LW: No. 16)
19. Iowa State (7-0, LW: No. 18)
20. Gonzaga (10-1, LW: No. 19)
21. Iowa (10-1, LW: No. 20)
22. UMass (9-0, LW: No. 21)
23. San Diego State (7-1, LW: No. 22)
24. Colorado (10-1, LW: No. 23)
25. Pitt (10-0, LW: No. 25)
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led the way with 30 points for the United States, which plays Croatia Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Miles Bridges is one of the better scorers in the 2016 class.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
The US is taking on the hosts in the semifinals, with the winner getting Croatia on Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Four players from 2015 NCAA tournament programs are trying out for the Canadian national team.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Kansas won its debut overseas this summer as Wayne Selden had a big outing.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
UConn landed a quality guard in the Class of 2016.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)