Dec 16, 2013, 2:56 PM EST
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Central Baptist at Grambling, 8:30 p.m.
This isn’t really the game of the night.
In fact, it’s probably quite the opposite.
Grambling has lost 32 straight games. They are 0-4 this season. They were 0-28 last season. They have dropped 41 of their last 42 games and are winless since beating Alabama A&M on March 3rd, 2012. The one year, nine months and two days. A little more than 93 weeks, or 653 days to be exact.
But tonight, the Grambling State Tigers will finally — mercifully — have a chance to end that streak as they host Central Baptist, an NAIA program that has started off the season 1-7.
“We’re at home for the first time non-conference in front of our fans and we want to come out and play great basketball and get the win,” head coach Joseph Price said. I’m sure he does. Lose to Central Baptist, and Grambling will have three chances — at TCU, at Evansville and at Arkansas-Little Rock — to try and avoid going an entire calendar year without winning a basketball game.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE NIGHT: Delaware at North Dakota State, 8:00 p.m.
NDSU is one week removed from a win at Notre Dame. Marshall Bjorklund is a beast in the post, good enough that people are forgetting to mention the fact that this team has Taylor Braun on their roster. The Bison are good, but Delaware has got a team as well. Throw in the fact that Devon Saddler will be returning to the lineup for the Blue Hens tonight, and we should see a pretty good basketball game in the frozen tundra of Fargo, ND.
FIVE THING TO WATCH FOR
1) No. 8 Duke returns to the court after 13 days off for finals by taking on Gardner-Webb at Cameron Indoor.
2) In another interesting game between strong mid-major programs, Oral Roberts heads to Ohio to take on Akron.
3) Georgia Tech, who has been a bit of a disappointment this season, will host Kennesaw State.
4) Chris Collins will lead Northwestern into battle with Mississippi Valley State.
5) Illinois State is coming off of a win over Dayton. Can the Redbirds string together two wins and take out Oakland and Travis Bader tonight?
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)