Dec 17, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Grambling 83, Central Baptist 75
Grambling finally captured their first win of the season (1-4) as they knocked off NAIA Central Baptist. But, a win is a win for Grambling. The Tigers had lost their last 32 games coming into Monday night, a streak that included the entire 2012-2013 season in which Joseph Price’s team went 0-28. The last time Grambling won was all the way back in March of 2012, when they closed out the regular season with a victory over Alabama A&M.
As I said, a win is a win for Grambling, but keep this in perspective: Central Baptist entered the night 1-7 on the season, and Grambling struggled to beat them. Anything is better than having a zero on the left side of your record, but this game doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that the Tigers’ fortunes are changing.
Here’s a stat for you: the last three wins Grambling had during the 2011-2012 season were all on the road. The last time they won at home? January 5th, 2012. They came up three weeks short of going two years between giving their home fans something to cheer about.
I’m not sure how many of those fans were around to actually see the win, however. The referees were more than an hour late.
1) No. 8 Duke 85, Gardner-Webb 66
The Blue Devils came out swinging with a solid first half as they got balanced scoring from Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, Quinn Cook and Andre Dawkins in the win over Gardner-Webb as they only top-25 team playing on Monday.
2) Oakland 90, Illinois State 75 52
The Golden Grizzlies moved to 3-9 on the year as Oakland bounces back from a tough loss to Michigan State. Travis Bader had 21 points and 11 rebounds to pace Oakland as the senior had four three-pointers.
3) North Dakota State 85, Delaware 66
In a game that happened to feature the same score as the Duke game, the Bison had 33 from Tayler Braun and 16 points and nine rebounds from Marshall Bjorklund as North Dakota State builds on last week’s Notre Dame win.
1) Billy Baron had 31 points and nine rebounds as Canisius earned a road victory over Holy Cross 83-73
2) Drew Crawford had 25 points and nine rebounds in a 86-64 win over Mississippi Valley State. The senior also added five assists.
3) Senior guard Tate Unruh had 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead Northern Colorado to another home win, 63-60, over UC Riverside.
1) UTEP fell at home to New Orleans, 71-69, as the Miners fell to 4-3 at home on the season.
2) Oral Roberts had 20 turnovers in a road game they could have won in a 74-64 road loss to Akron.
3) Western Carolina only shot 36 percent from the field in a 66-55 loss to Cleveland State.
TOP 25 SCORES
- No. 8 Duke 68, Gardner-Webb 63
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)