Dec 17, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
On Tuesday, NCAA.com released a video listing the five loudest, most intimidating college basketball arenas to play in. Coming in at the top spot was Allen Fieldhouse on the University of Kansas campus. The reasoning behind it:
“It’s twice the size as Cameron [Indoor Stadium] with three times the students sitting courtside. There’s a reason they say, ‘Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of the Phog’, because Allen Fieldhouse is loud. The Rock, Chalk, chant provides an eerie calm before the deafening storm. And once the ball is tipped, there’s not a louder college basketball arena in the country.”
Here’s the top five, part of NCAA.com’s ‘High Five’ series:
5. The Pit, New Mexico
4. Gallagher-Iba Arena, Oklahoma State
3. Carrier Dome, Syracuse
2. Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke
1. Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas
I don’t know what equation was used to determine which arenas were louder than others, but this is the NCAA we’re talking about, and this is the five they came up with.
Notable arenas not listed: Kentucky’s Rupp Arena, Indiana’s Assembly Hall and Michigan State’s Breslin Center (among others).
The Jayhawks will look to use the loudest arena in college basketball to its advantage on Saturday when No. 18 Kansas hosts Georgetown.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)