Dec 17, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Wichita State’s Marshall on Kansas: “I’m not going to Allen Fieldhouse for a check” (Fox Sports Kansas City)
With Wichita State’s recent run of success, more than a few people have asked why the Shockers can’t get a shot at the state’s premier program. But while Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall would like a home-and-home Kansas hasn’t been as receptive to the idea, resulting in no games being agreed to at all.
133 Minutes with Steve Lavin (New York Magazine)
St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin is one of the more interesting coaches in college basketball thanks to his philosophical view on the game and on life in general. And now in his fourth season at the helm in Queens, the expectation for the Red Storm is that they at the very least return to the NCAA tournament after missing out last season.
Wisconsin basketball is unchanged, but its success is unparalleled (USA Today)
Bo Ryan’s Wisconsin Badgers are off to a 10-0 start and are ranked as high as they’ve been since the end of the 2006-07 season. To that they have continuity to thank, because even with the faces and names of the players changing Ryan’s system has not. And that has resulted in a high amount of success for the program.
Big East might be the deepest conference in the nation (Fox Sports)
While many have asked what the Big East outside of Villanova has done resume-wise through the first five weeks of the season, there’s at least one opinion that the conference is the nation’s deepest. Interesting read for sure.
John Beilein voices confidence in freshman point guard Derrick Walton Jr. (MLive.com)
Michigan point guard Spike Albrecht played well in the Wolverines’ close loss to top-ranked Arizona on Saturday afternoon, so much so that some openly wondered if he’d moved into the role occupied by freshman Derrick Walton Jr. But that may not be the case as head coach John Beilein stated that he remains confident in the freshman, and Walton is expected to start on Saturday against Stanford.
National AAU basketball championships moving to Louisville in 2014 (Louisville Courier-Journal)
After holding its national championships in Orlando for more than a decade, the Amateur Athletic Union announced on Monday that it will move the events to Louisville next summer. Louisville will host the championships from 2014-16, and the Louisville Sports Commission has estimated that the event will have a $3 million impact on the city.
Former Cougar coach Steve Cleveland overseeing new “team” (Deseret News)
Steve Cleveland served as head coach at BYU for seven seasons before moving on to Fresno State. Now out of coaching, Cleveland is now the president of Indianapolis, Indiana mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Predictably, Cleveland’s experiences as a coach have helped him in his new position.
Big week for Stanford basketball (Bay Area News Group)
Non-conference play offers teams the opportunity to put together a quality resume before they begin play in their respective conferences. That’s certainly the case for Stanford, with games at UConn and against Michigan in Brooklyn this week representing two great opportunities for Johnny Dawkins’ program. And given the fact that the Cardinal have yet to reach the NCAA tournament under Dawkins, this is a big weekend when looking towards March.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)