Dec 18, 2013, 8:13 PM EST
The matchup for the fourth Armed Forces Classic was announced on Wednesday morning and it will be a family affair, with Rick Pitino’s Louisville Cardinals facing his son Richard’s Minnesota squad in Puerto Rico at the U.S. Coast Guard’s Air Station Borinquen. The news was first reported by Andy Katz of ESPN.com.
Back in September Rick Pitino stated that he wanted to play his son’s team in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, as Louisville will be making the move to the ACC on July 1, 2014. With this news that obviously won’t happen.
After playing the first game in the history of the event on the USS Carl Vinson in 2011 (North Carolina beat Michigan State) the next two meetings were played on military bases. A factor in that move were weather concerns, with condensation being an issue due to the game being played outdoors.
The 2012 edition was played at Rammstein Air Base in Germany (UConn defeated Michigan State), with this year’s game hosted by Camp Humphreys in South Korea. Oregon beat Georgetown in that matchup.
Also of note on Wednesday was the announcement that the 2016 edition of the event will be a doubleheader to be played at Pearl Harbor to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the attack on the Honolulu base.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 0
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)